Chapter VI - The Best I Can Be

[The Next Day]

As usual, (Y/n) is the first to wake up. She prepares breakfast after dressing into her work clothes, going at her own pace, since it was only two more hours until she and Takemichi would have to go to work, while Mikey attends his second day of school.

'Things didn't start off well for Mikey...' (Y/n) remarks, stirring the pancake batter in the mixing bowl. '--because his behavior is nothing out of the ordinary. He's nothing but a normal boy.' Though she wants to believe this, there's been a certain theory that's been bothering her since last night.

"But how am I going to protect myself? From bullies or thieves? What if Ryugui tries to bully me again?"

'Was he traumatized from that time he almost got kidnapped?' (Y/n) wonders. 'Or did it have something to do with his past? Before he met me...?'

"Are you mad at me mama?"

(Y/n) doesn't want to pester her son anymore; she can only imagine the guilt that still remained in him after yesterday's conversation. 'No. I have to respect his boundaries. If that were ever the case, he'll trust me or Hiro to share that kind of personal stuff.'

'I already know enough about him.' (Y/n) admits. 'I shouldn't even worry so much. This is a mission that depends on the entire country.' Her eyes softens as she movements come to a halt. 'This is an act that can hardly last any longer...at some point, you have to leave him and Hiro...don't ever think otherwise, (Y/n).'

(Y/n)'s thoughts are no longer her concern, her attention going to the pattering of footsteps. She makes eye contact with the source of the noise. She smiles when she locks eyes with the little boy that shyly stands behind the corner of the hallway. "What's wrong?"

Mikey timidly takes a few steps forward. "Nothing..." He struggles to keep eye contact with him.

(Y/n) reads off his expression. "It's okay. I'm not mad at you. I meant what I said last night." Mikey didn't look convinced, so she then gestures him to come forward. "Just apologize to Ryugui once you see him today, okay? I'm sure he'll understand at some point."

Mikey hesitates. "It's...not that..." His clutches onto the hem of his pajama shirt. "I..."

"Your mama was probably just like you when she was little."

"I really...feel bad for what I said...to you..." Mikey reveals, keeping his distance from (Y/n).

(Y/n) appreciates the concern that Mikey was conveying to her, and takes the time to have a proper conversation. She neglects the pancake batter that she had just finished and goes up to the little boy. She crouches down, now talking to him at an eye-to-eye level. "Hiro told me that he mentioned to you a thing or two about my past." Her smile widens. "Keep in mind that you had no idea. You're just a little boy that has a lot to learn. Hiro was in the right to say that to you, at that moment alone, so that you can have some compassion, and not make any assumptions towards others." She puts a hand on one of her shoulders. "But that doesn't mean I expect you to see me any differently after learning that. I'm still your mama, okay?"

Mikey nods slowly. "Okay..." He finally makes eye contact with her.

(Y/n) returns to her original height. "Good." She walks back to the kitchen. "Now, I'm gonna finish up these pancakes. You can watch TV for a bit until they're ready. If your papa's still asleep, go wake him up please."

Instead of giving a direct obligation, Mikey follows (Y/n). "Mama..." The young woman stops walking and looks down at him. "--...what were you like when you were little?"