Chapter 47: Towels

As we neared our destination I got excited. I was going to be home. Nothing's stopping us this time, no sandstorms, no angry people, and no one almost dying again. I hope. I swam toward the front for the last few minutes until we got to the surface. Everyone stared and I smiled, we got all our stuff gathered together and I swam over to Agua," You have our own option, but I need questions answered and your the only witness I have, if I let you free . . . will you swim away?" He shook his head, I looked at him carefully then slowly untied Agua." You have your own opinion and I'll still hunt you down but don't try to swim away." He nodded and rubbed his wrists," You tie well." " Thanks, the knot tying camp that Auntie A sent me too came into use after all." I smiled rolling my eyes at the same time. He smiled at my joke. I swam past Kylie and glared. She glared back. I knew she wasn't sorry so I didn't even give her the chance to escape like I did Agua. We all swam out the van and they all followed me to the smooth stone bridge by the beach. I swam up above the surface and looked around. I saw teenagers by the ice cream stand that came occasionally during the summer. But no one was actually in the ocean, it was early in the day so few people were there. I saw some teenagers flirting with the ice cream stand server but the actual beach was bare except for the beach towels they had lain out. Everyone else's head popped up and it was like when I first realized I was a mermaid. I chuckled at their expressions. They all looked wowed by the surface except for Agua, I guessed he'd been here before so it didn't surprise him much. We swam closer to the bridge arch and I felt the air. Breezy and perfect. It would be cool, but it would dry us up fast. I put my finger to my lips and I hoped they wouldn't draw attention to us. I pulled myself up on the sand bank watching the teenagers the whole time. It took a while considering once again I was an extra thousand pounds. Everyone else pulled themselves up too and followed me, I dragged myself to the towels and hoped I could get to the towels before I dried off. I reached the first towel and wrapped it around me right before the twinkle came. My scales that I had grown into, dissolved into my black pajamas that I had worn when I was pushed into the ocean. Except the clothes were tattered and ripped. Man, I really loved those pajamas. Everyone else was still crawling toward the towels and Agua was helping Kai onto the beach. Kai had regained consciousness a little while before and was barely able to crawl. Rylie had wrapped the towel around her but she still wasn't turning human," It's so dry up here," she whispered. I fanned her with my hand and blew on her trying to dry her off so she could change but no twinkle twinkled. Then I remembered when Auntie A told me that I can turn into a mermaid when I had water on me with my command so the same should be for turning human. But if they weren't half breeds like I was they couldn't. Except for Agua he turned human and was already wrapped in a towel. He looked different then he had as a mermaid. He had brown hair with blonde streaks through out but his eyes were still the same stormy gray. I guess since his dad was human, he could turn human with his desire too. " Rylie, Kylie, Vlad, and Kai come back in the water." I whispered. We all swam back in the ocean and I held my towel closer with the water swirling around. Rylie sighed," It feels so different up there, why is it so dry?" " The air," I answered quickly," Everyone hold still and don't move." I closed my eyes and focused on Vlad, Rylie, Kylie, and Kai I focused on them so hard that I didn't realize when Theos was talking to me. Focus, on not only them but what you want them to become. It'll be easier, oh so you didn't want to help before but you want to help now? I asked, Whatever, that seemed like his favorite word. I focused on Vlad, Rylie, Kylie, and Kai turning human and I turned glowy. I smiled and heard someone suck in. Shoot! I forgot to tell them they can't breathe underwater. I didn't look because I didn't want to see the boys naked or lose focus but I hoped everyone was above the surface. I popped up and saw Kylie somehow managed to swim above tied up and Vlad was holding Kai barely making it above the reface of the water, they coughed and spat out a lot. Where was Rylie? I stuck my head underwater and saw her drowning, I panicked. And swam as fast as I could toward Rylie, I got a hold of her and pulled her to the surface. I wrapped a towel around Rylie. She wasn't breathing and her pulse was slowing down I brought her on the beach and Agua realized what had happened. He crawled over and pumped her chest, then squeezed her nose and breathed into her mouth. Then he did the cycle again four times before he retorted, disgusted. "Ughh!" he exclaimed. "What?" I asked,"She tried to kiss me!" Agua wiped his mouth and spat. Rylie coughed up water then sat up smiling. "Alright everyone hurry up, teenagers lose interest fast." Vlad stood up smiling and said,"What I do now?" He said it more loudly than I would have liked considering he brought the teenager's attention over to us. All five of them turned around and screamed,"Hey! Those are our towels!" They started sprinting towards us surprisingly fast. "Run!" I screamed but no one could stand up except for Vlad when he turned around they shielded their eyes. "Eeeww!" They all exclaimed,"Where's your bathing suit?!" Another screamed,"Get a towel!" Said another. "Vlad, stay right there," I whispered looking away. "Sure thing," he agreed, most likely beaming. The girls were still screaming when Rylie learned to walk. Agua dragged Kylie and Kai was nudged along by one of us when he started to slow down. Kai had continued surprising me by learning to walk again in a matter of seconds and to keep on walking at a decent pace in his condition. Agua ran straight to my neighborhood, I guessed he probably had to memorize stuff like that for his "father's respect." " Vlad, let's go!" I yelled almost off of the sand and on the grass." I can not! Don't know how!" he  yelled back. "You can stand, why can't you walk?!" I screamed, on the grass now. Vlad tried to take a step,"It I do! It I do!" I waved my hand motioning for him to come over still looking away. He slowly took steps toward me, fell a couple times but always got back up. I ran to the house while the teenagers were still getting grossed out about someone that wasn't even there anymore. Vlad and me ran inside the house. I looked at the shattered door on the ground and then said,"I need to get that fixed."