Chapter 2

She throws up the morning of the wedding in the Potters' bathroom. Hunching over the toilet, Hermione retches a few more times, but skipping breakfast makes this a useless, painful act.

As she slumps over the sink and splashes cold water on her face, Ginny rubs her back.

"Since you won't let me murder Malfoy, let me at least do your hair and makeup for you?"

Hermione nods weakly and allows herself to be pampered. Ginny applies a light dusting of makeup, just enough to conceal her pale, clammy countenance.

As Ginny carefully handles her curls and wrangles them into a simple braid, Hermione barely avoids bursting into tears.

Her friend squeezes her shoulders. "Hey. You're the bravest person I know, but you don't have to fight this alone. You also don't have to go through with it at all."

Hermione shakes her head and swallows the lump in her throat. "No. I won't let them win. And you and Harry have done enough. Just—just be there for me. Today. During...it."

She counts deep breaths and then counts the years. Only three. This will be a mere blip in her story. Three years and then freedom. Three years of surface compliance while she works on the best way to enact a subterfuge.

In addition to a copy of the marriage dissolution form, Hermione keeps a list of every Wizengamot member who voted for the marriage law, each publication and journalist who supported it, and every member of Minister Lance's staff.

She dons her battle armor: an ivory, long-sleeved sheath dress. It's a small rebellion that she cherishes. If she's being made to marry a pureblood scion or temporarily forfeit a wand, she'll do so in Muggle fashion.

"I know you said not to interfere further, but Harry and I may or may not have sent a strongly worded letter to Malfoy," confesses Ginny as she zips the back of the dress.

"I should have known."

"Ron sent a Howler."

"I expected nothing less."

"Luna sent him a book on common poisons and their antidotes. In case you attempted the premature widow route."

"Kind of her to consider saving me from prison, but I'm not sure poisoning will help."

Ginny takes the hint and stops trying to wring laughs out of her.

The walk through the Ministry halls is a solemn one. Luna and Ginny flank her, each holding one of her hands. Harry and Ron walk in front, attempting to shield her from curious onlookers.

All three Malfoys await her in the ceremony room. Neither group greets the other; her friends usher her along to the opposite side of the room and huddle around her. Hermione at least appreciates the extremely un-romantic setting of what is essentially a conference space.

No one says a word. Hermione stares at the clock above the door and wills the oppressive silence to smother her. With a quick, covert glance, she observes the other party. Lucius is dressed for a funeral, but Narcissa looks elegant as ever in sage coloured robes.

Draco is wearing traditional, formal black robes. Full wedding regalia, cape included. He looks every bit the impending groom and the sight makes Hermione's palms sweat and her stomach churn.

Dramatic options for escape compete for her thoughts. Running out of the room, stealing several Portkeys and hiding out in Australia. Disappearing into the Muggle world. Transfiguring her features and having a new wand made abroad. In each and every scenario, she hexes Lucius Malfoy in the face on her way out.