Chapter 48: Lia

"There's Elizabeth and there's Lia." She sighed, clearly troubled over something.

Does Liz have a twin...?

"Same person, different time."

Oh.

"Why Lia?" I asked, "that's not even close to her name."

"Marco came up with it," she started, "He has his own weird explanation about it but it works. That was over 3 years ago, we were kids."

"Why did you say I wouldn't want to meet him?" I said, trying to get my head around this.

"Well, he's an ex for a reason," she replied, as if the answer should be obvious, "I'll tell you about lia first and then you'll understand why Liz-"

She looked at me and I looked back in curiosity, "what?"

"Did she tell you about him?"

I thought carefully of my response. I still haven't forgotten what she did to Eli, I could just lie but then again if I do, she might ask questions.

Shaking my head, I said no.

"Figured." She said and sat back,

"Remember when I told you about Liz partying before?"

"Yeah," I answered, "what about it?"

"That's Lia. She just didn't like partying, she loved it." This perked my interest so I asked more.

"It was just the two of us but we met Marco in 9th grade. And then there were three." She shook her head, "Eventually they got close. Closer than me and her and then one day there was a party."

A party huh.

"It was invites only because I remember it was a sophomore party and freshmen weren't allowed."

"Marco invited you?"

"No." She scoffed, "Only Liz but she told me to come with her so obviously I did. I helped her sneak out that night and had her drunk ass sleep in my room. "I had to message both my moms so Liz won't see them." She chuckled.

That's no where funny.

"Funny situation," I laughed with her.

"Right?—"

"Hiding your bestfriend's mom to her." I smiled, "As someone that doesn't like toxicity, you're insensitive yourself."

I don't care if she's hurt, she lied to Liz. She lied to me. If she experienced the same thing she wouldn't have that smile on her face while hearing those words.

She was speechless.

As she should be.

"I don't care about explanations," I said nonchalantly, "tell me more about El- Lia and Marco, I'll pull some strings when the police station opens and I'll find her myself."

"I fucked up didn't I..." She looked down, her hair covering her face. It was clear that she's crying because I could see her tears falling down on her lap. "She always got in trouble with his dad but we still did it every time Marco invites her to some places until they got together."

I didn't speak and she took it as a sign to continue.

"Marco changed Liz." She sniffed and wiped her tears. "She would skip class with him, I'd see her with people I don't know. She would still invite me but Marco never liked it. It was a surprise that her dad liked him."

"He met her dad?" She nodded.

My heart felt like a nail peirced through. He met her dad...and he actually liked him.

Something I'll never get.

"It was a Tuesday night." I told myself to focus and listen to her instead of feeling the hurt. "She asked me to get her from Marco's place because something happened."

"So I got a Lyft and picked up crying Liz." Her voice cracked, "that's when I realized that I'm more than her bestfriend. Literally and metaphorically. I never left her side since."

"They broke up?" I asked and she nodded.

"Marco's adopted and his adopted parents were the one that told Liz to leave Marco. He cheated, caught him sleeping with a girl... Well that's what she told me."

I clenched my fists and tears were threatening to fall. Who in their right mind would cheat? Let alone to Liz. She deserves all the love and appreciation in the world- everything I could give.

I regret arguing with her.

"That's why I doubt she'll go to him. I don't think she'll want to go down that road again."

Hearing the word road, I got out of the car to check if the station's open, not bothering to wait for her to follow me.

*  

"We will be in touch as soon as possible to tell you what we are doing."

Tori slammed her hands on the counter, "Do you have any idea how dange-"

"Yes ma'am," the police said, "we'll do everything that we can that's why it'll take longer. We search the missing person’s home, we search the area they were last seen, we check local hospitals, check the missing person’s mobile phones or computers, knock on local doors, and more. I've been doing this for a long time ma'am."

Tori was going to talk back but I decided to intervene, "I'll make a call, they might help the process."

She stepped back, "okay."

I called Mom and she picked up, "Yes darling?"

"Hi mom, I'm at the police station and I need help."

After a few minutes of explaining, a sigh escaped her lips, "I'll have the records looked at and I'll let you know when her name comes up."

"Thank you Mom." A bag of weight left my shoulders.

"It's okay darling." She said. "I know how much you want to find Elizabeth, I do too, but your dad has a meeting and he wants you to attend."

"Mom someone's missing and-"

"Chloe." Her stern voice made my blood cold. "I'll do everything I can to help find her. You have responsibilities."

"Yes mom..." I mumbled.

"11:30pm," she said, "be there now."

"Yes mom..." I looked at the clock hanging on the station's wall.

10:58am.

"Tori." I called her immediately after I ended the call. Her attention was on me in a second.

"Mom will help but I have to go." I said urgently and she nodded in understanding.

*

8:00 am

Elizabeth's POV

"Let's give Mr. D a visit?"

His suggestion woke me up completely. "What?"

"Goodmorning sunshine." He smiled, his body leaning on the doorway of the room.

--------------------
Author's notes!

Hello 👋

Did you guys know I'm an artist too? That's why I'm late to update the book, I make art!

I try my best to keep up with the schedule because I study art when I'm not busy with things. If you have any corrections/questions, leave a comment! I'll answer when I can <3