114

Bondita had joined the new year of her school and it had been a week since he had gone. A week of missing him. But she knew exactly what she should do so he would be happy when he comes back.
Study...
With her whole heart. Last year was tough on her. She wanted to make up. But she still could not keep her mind still. The last night she spent with him fresh. She felt her cheeks burning at just the mere thought of it. His telegram had arrived a few days ago telling he reached there safely. And that there was no phone at where he was staying so would call as and when possible. And she had been waiting and waiting.

" Malkin !" It was Koyeli. Did she come to call her to kitchen for dinner ? She looked out. It was dark. She was late !

" Yes !" Bondita got down from her bed after closing her books. " Coming Koyeli." She reached her door to meet the panting woman.

" Fast ! Chhote Malik has called in that tel...tel..."

" Telephone ?!"

" Yes !"

Bondita sprinted out, rushed down stairs and her Kaka Sasurji's booming voice met her ears as she reached the phone in drawing room. " Beta ! You are eating properly or not ?" Bhari Babu stood smiling there.

Bondita stopped her feet a few feets away, standing near a pillar holding her pallu. The little Bondita would have ran up there and snatched away the phone. But today...she felt too shy to ask for the telephone. His last touch, his soft words had made her feel different and somehow were making her too weak to place this simple request. Breathing heavily she waited as she twisted the end of her pallu between her fingers.

" Aniruddh..." Her Kaka Sasurji said in a teasing voice making her frown her brow. " I will come back in few minutes. Don't cut the call." He kept the reciver on the table and cleared his throat. " Bihari. Come with me for a minute." And both the men left. Bondita smiled at this caring gesture of her Kaka Sasurji and ran to pick up the reciver.

Aniruddh heard a sound and then the silence from the other side was filled with whispers of breaths. " Bondita...?"

She shut her eyes tight at the sound of his voice. It felt she could faint from the happiness. " Ji..." She managed to say.

" How are you ?"

" Good. You ? Are you taking care of yourself ?"

" I am."

" Good."

" Good."

For a few seconds they both were silent. So much to say but no words to convey.

" How is your case Pati Babu ?" There was no answer for a few seconds. " Pati Babu...?"

" Do you...miss me Bondita ?"

She was caught off guard. Will she be able to explain it to him in just few words ? She looked around. No one. " Yes..." She answered in a mere whisper.

" Me too..."

" Come back soon Pati Babu." She didn't know why she was feeling like crying.

" That... might be a little difficult."

" What ? Why ?"

" The case is taking longer than I expected. But I am trying to be back soon. I promise."

" No. Don't rush any thing. Do...do what you have to. Take your time. But please...be careful. Please..."

" Did I tell you I am missing you ?" He cut her off. She didn't mind. A shy smile forming on her lips.

" Ji..."

" I want to be back to you. Soon. I don't like it here without you. I...am having trouble sleeping."