THE STARLESS NIGHT

MAHARAJ AYUDHIK

"Puja sampan hui." The priest of the royal temple said as I joined my hands and bowed to the holy fire burning within the huge pendal infront of the Goddess's idol as of asking her blessings for long life for my friends and family as well as good year and harvest for my people. The sweet and calm scent of incense sticks, crackling fire, camphor and rose water along with the symphony of holy mantras and temple bells and the instruments were perforating the entire atmosphere of Suryagadh from morning and as the night fallen over the calm city, the lamps were spreading the light on this moonless night. I stepped down from the pristine mandap on the perfectly paved mud ground.

The Sabarmati river was flowing infront of me as it's bank were lit up with hundreds if not thousands of lamps with oil enough that they will burn all night together without much interference. The night was chilling as I reined my horse and began to march back towards Surya Mahal through the well lighted pathways. Each and every ledge is covered with lamps. The earthen lamp makers were busy as soon as I took over. Asking them to make as many as they can knowing the capital is going to be bathed in the yellow light. Many lamps the fort purchased were given away to poor as gift. How much I prefer to walk through this scenic beauty but I perfectly know I can't stomach the beauty and serenity of today.

Afterall none of festivals bring out any memories except the sad one. I went to my chambers noticing the fact that only two or three of the servants are present instead of thirty or forty in entire Surya Mahal. I choose not to comment over it. I didn't have a family to celebrate doesn't mean others don't. They left me alone as if already sensing that my mood is rotten. Festivals do that to me. I took another bath and went to stand on the balcony. The capital of Suryagadh is very much certainly shining bright against the back drop of dark mountains and star filled sky.

It surely will look like a beacon from sky. I thought as my eyes moved towards the direction of Chand Mahal. If the whole capital was decorated as a bride then the royal fort is like the face of the bride. And Chand Mahal is like the silver bindi on middle of her forehead. Each and every available surface of it was covered in lamps and decorations. The flowers used for decorations are of highest quality but a certain balcony in Chand Mahal looked a bit bare. Only with ten earthen lamps and a large rangoli in her room Chitra was sitting in her chair covered with a fluffy white blanket. She looked like as if she was in very state of tranquility. But only those unique eyes of her shows the fierce battle going on inside her own mind.

After lots of research through the very few authentic books on poisons and convictions on memory loss it appear as if it was merely a side effect which loose itself within six months to one year. The memories will slowly trickle back but till then the patient must not be given any emotional or physical burdens. I was happy when the text was found. We immediately have to stop her sisters's visit to her knowing it can worsen her health. Her health is still deteriorating but a bit slower rate than before. Of course they were heart broken but it was the only remotedly possible cure. Bringing anything from her past infront of her immediately can lead to overthink which will definitely push her away towards the edge between sanity and insanity.

Atleast she had began eating again. "Sulking alone in a dark corner Maharaj ?" Virat asked which immediately made me want to squeeze his neck and aburptly end his journey on earth. Today I didn't even tried to give one to anyone. I didn't even went to visit Chitra knowing my mood was off and there are very high chances that I will do something to her and then regret. Most of the people from Vijay Sena stay twelve foot away from me on festival and hundred foot especially Diwali. Today I am feeling as if I am a trickling explosive ready to burst out on smallest of small movement or disturbance. And here Virat is surely playing with the fire. I didn't gave him a second thought as I brushed past him towards the secret opening and vanished inside the wall.