Water Tunnels

Dillon walked us as far as the water, although it looked different.
Instead of the calm flat waterbed that it usually was, there was a current now, and the shore swayed back and forth as if we suddenly moved to the edge of an ocean.

"Basically I'm going to create a bubble of air, and the water will push it to where I make it go, it's the safest way. You've got to stay close so you don't get sucked into the water, as the ocean is a cruel mistress. But don't you dare get close enough to touch me, you should be carried with the bubble but you've got to stay balanced. It's hard to explain but you should be fine" Dillon informed us before holding his hands out infront of him.

I had seen Dillon transition effortlessly into the water befroe but I had never seen him part the water itself, the waves curved into a sphere around us and we lifted off of the ground as we were submerged below the water.

I finally realised what Dillon meant when he said to stay balanced because I felt like I was drifting to one side constantly then when I tried to stay balanced it would push me to the other side.
I definitely wobbled more than the others but I managed to stay put.

Once I felt confident with my balance, I could finally look around, and observe the ocean drifting passed us at what must've been hundreds of miles an hour. The fish grazing past the bubble making sharp noises from the outside.
I looked below, and immediately had to catch my breath, there was nothing there. Nothing but pitch blackness. It was enough to make my skin crawl and the goosebumps raise on my arms and legs.
But I could've sworn I saw something move, something large, gigantic even. I couldn't make out anything other than the slight change in shape of the darkness. I could see the darkness changing for a while so I knew whatever this thing was, it would trump a blue whale in a fight.

I decided to look upwards, in hopes that I would see something nicer. But instead I saw a slightly lighter shade of blue with the occasional sun ray seeping in. I never realised how scary the ocean was, how hopeless any sea diver would be if they were marooned, or if a ship capsized in the depths of the pacific. No one would be able to do anything but await death.
My body began to heat up and my breathing unsteady, i darted my eyes around trying to find something that would calm me down. Whilst looking my body began to sway, I could feel myself loosing balance, loosing control. The bubble itself rippled and shook. I swayed from side to side, my feet slipping and my body leaning back. I'd never been so scared in my life, I was about to be taken by the ocean, but then I felt a hand grab my arm and hold me steady. I looked to the body attached, it was layla. Of course it was Layla. A smile placed on her lips
"Can't have you drowning before we get to the big dog"

"Thank you! Thank you so much" I almost cried as she pulled me towards her and I wrapped my arms around her for a hug.
She returned the informality and I smiled at her touch. My eyes couldn't move away from hers.

My head pulled closer without me doing so, I'd blame it on the water if anyone asked.
Layla seemed to move ever so slightly closer aswell.

Whatever moment that was about to happen was abruptly ended by Dillon
"We're here" he stated, I begrudgingly looked past Layla and saw Dillon moving an arm as we were slowly lifted back to the surface.
The biggest surprise wasn't the fact that we hand somehow ended up on Jerusalem within 10 minutes, it wasn't the massive water tunnel we had just traversed though, but it was Dillon holding the shoulder of Codrin, keeping him upright as one of his legs had collapsed so he was kneeling.

I thought it best not to bring it up as the bubble evaporated with a 'pop' sound.
Immediately the air felt dry and I grasped my throat, attempting my very hardest to catch some air

"Oh yeah I forgot to tell you the water tunnels corrupt your lungs temporarily.... Sorry" Dillon apologised but he wasn't facing me.

"Where do we go now" Amelia asked, looking directly at Layla.

Layla told us about a temple, with a golden sphere atop it, the walls were pale with cracks all the way up, however at the same time the building would feel like darkness. Unmistakable if we were to see it.

Within a second of hearing what the building looked like Amelia set off. Trying to find the building, Lev, Layla and I followed. Dillon stepped forward to join us but immediately collapsed under his own weight.

"Dillon!" Codrin exclaimed, dropping down to hold him up, an arm around his shoulder
"Get off me fish" Dillon shrugged him off but then fell to the floor.

"What's wrong with him!?" Codrin asked looking to Wulf.
Wulf didn't answer, instead Dillon did
"I'm just- I'm fatigued. I haven't had to water travel in a while, I'll be fine"

"That makes sense. When we over use our powers it brings a toll" Wulf explained "I'll stay with him. Make sure he rests"

"No, I'm not having some second rate nature descendent try and nurture me back to health" Dillon spat

"You need someone-"

"I'll stay" Codin offered. Wulf seemed like he was going to object but Dillon interrupted "fine"

I was a bit surprised when Dillon agreed to codrin staying but was happy nonetheless

"The second he's better you find us. We'll need all the help we can get" Amelia instructed. Codrin nodded as we set of to find the temple of the devil.

I couldn't say how long we searched for, I couldn't guess how far we travelled. But every where we looked there was nothing. No cracked golden temple, no tall pale walls climbing the sky, no clouds of darkness looming over.

"This is stupid. How long are we going to just sit around for!" Lev shouted, slumping down and resting beside a shopping kart

"It's close I can feel it" Layla replied

"Feel what!? The so called darkness? Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe. We've been put on a wild goose chase across a different continent!" Lev shouted once again

"Are you questioning my-"

"Enough! We won't get anywhere fighting each other" Amelia interrupted

"Where not getting anywhere anyway" Lev muttered under his breath.
I chuckled to myself slightly, having one last look around the area we were in. There was nothing except one other person, with bags stacked up high in a kart.

"Items. Get your items here, cheap prices very good" she called, trying to sell whatever it was that was in the bags
"You there. Traveler, would you like some help, I have many items that you could use" she smiled
She was an older woman, with tanned skin and grey hair slowly coming through. She had a warming smile and bright eyes. But as I looked closer, her eyes began to change colour, from the jade green that they were into a deep saffron orange
"A map perhaps" her voice turned into one that sounded like a whisper, although her mouth didn't seem to move.

I nodded my head without thinking and she pulled a scroll from a bag
"Nothing comes without a price, son of Odin" she said once again
"Who-"

"You know who I am my dear boy. You're coming to meet me after all. I just hope you reconsider your actions by the time you get here, now.
As for the price of the map. I'm thinking... an eye" the old woman smiled and I felt a sharp pain in my right eye. My vision faded to black as I saw blood trickling down onto my hands. With my other eye,
I could see the rest of the group turn to me as I let out a blood curdling cry before completely passing out.