The Gala Part Two

A/N: Hey everyone! It's been a while. Life has been crazy for both Eden and I! With Eden moving house and myself recently getting engaged (!!!!) and still clacking away  at my novel. We understand the wait between updates is super long and we thank you for being so patient with us. I hope this VERY long chapter makes up for it! Love you all! <3

-Midnight 

The Gala Part Two

In years to come, Adrien knew he'd forget things about the Gala. Things like the outfit he wore, the exact colour of the flowered centrepieces, or how many guests he chatted with. There were many memories of that night which could get lost to time, fading like words on an ancient newspaper.

But he would never forget her.

As Marinette glided down the runway, a vision in pink, a goddess of fashion, time seemed to slow

As Marinette glided down the runway, a vision in pink, a goddess of fashion, time seemed to slow. The lights around the runway gave her an almost otherworldly glow, and she held her chin high. Her hair, falling around her shoulders in delicate curls, caught the strands of light and for a moment, it looked like she had captured the very essence of starlight in those cascading locks. Adrien thought there wasn't another person alive who could own that runway like she did.

The sounds of the festivities died down to almost nothing. Adrien didn't know if it was because they too had spotted Marinette and were equally as awed, or if it was him focusing so entirely on her that the rest of the world simply fell away. All the air seemed to suck out of the room, but he knew that if he continued to look at her, he'd be able to keep breathing.

It was hard to simply look though, to not stare or gawk. For a fleeting moment, he had the urge to run to her, to whisk her off that runway and into his arms. Forget the plans, forget the confession, he just needed her.

But this was her moment, not his, not theirs, and what kind of partner would he be if he didn't stand back and let her shine?

And shine she did. He knew she'd made the gown herself, knew she was a talented seamstress. She'd made him a perfect replica of a Final Fantasy outfit for a cosplay after all, and they were notoriously difficult. This dress though? It was a combination of loving craft and a design skill that was, in his opinion, unparalleled. The muted, pale pink bodice was daring, an intricate webbing of lace and rose gold embroidery which etched its way up Marinette's chest like tiny tree roots reaching from her waist to her shoulders in a v-shape. The empty spaces where the roots didn't reach were covered with a sheer layer of chiffon which appeared almost nude to the untrained eye. Adrien's mouth went dry.

But it was the skirts of the dress where her creativity truly shone. Every panel was, at first glance, shaped rather oddly in a slight arch. But the sparkling embroidery, the way the panels gently fanned out with her movements (especially behind her) created the intended effect.

Wings.

But not the typical wings which might inspire a designer-in-training. No cliche, featherlike angel patterns or overly garish fairy designs. No.