Rodents.

The door opened... it was another employee. "Hey, I heard a squeaking noise, do we have pests in here again?" You pulled your phone to your ear.

"I'm on the phone, sorry, my friend has a pet rat." you promptly responded letting a false grin form. You were legit covering for that small creature. The man paused, scanning the room.

"I hope so, because I don't want to call pest control again, about those damned pests eating everything again." He spoke with annoyance, a scowl forming on his face.

"Are you referring to rats-"

"Hell no, they do the least harm! Its those damned hairball fucks. They CHEW through everything I mean like legit, EVERYTHING." He very much had a temper. The similarities finally clicked "Regular Guy..." you mutter, that's what that hairball-thing is called! The man left, leaving you alone with the thing he hates. You pulled it by one of its hairs out of your pocket making it pip a squeak. Your co-workers concerns got to you. You didn't want it to eat a hole in your pocket. You hushed it, placing the little eldritch creature into your jacket on the rack. 

"Stay there. Don't eat anything."  You whisper pointing a finger at the creature. Before you could turn around, the creature jumped onto you catching you off guard, you managed to stop it in its tracks pulling it by one of it hairs again- it biting you. You glared into the creatures eye, scowling.

 "You..."  you growled as it dived into your shirt. You grumbled you couldn't bother to deal with it. Turning your attention from your soda, the hairball submerged from your shirt  its hairs cradling your neck. You allowed a small smile to form at the hairball's purrs. It was kind of cute I guess. But its presence did seem familiar. Something, someone I had forgotten.  My brother -I wonder how he was. I hadn't seen him yet. 

You glanced at the clock- shoot.

You still had to finish your shift. You hurried out as you were called to help out with some restocking. 

Just glancing at the very patchy shelves made you click with annoyance. You pulled a large box to yourself, slandering the person who biffed this on you. you were too lost in irritation to notice a man waiting in the corner of your eye. "Oh, sorry sir ."

"How may I help you?" You prompted to patch up your mistake. You awaited for a response from them, but nothing arrived. It was only your first day and you just had to catch the attention of a weirdo. His attire was normal, except his unkempt storm of hair. His large his yellow eyes locking onto you as he stood there in silence, what does he want?  You looked back at the shelfs. Your hands beginning to tremble as your gaze darted to the corner of your eye. He hasn't even blinked. He was, 'observing' but why? Why is his stare full of unreadable intent? You rubbed your eyes picking up a box as you turned back to where the man was standing unable to take his uneasy stare anymore, but he had vanished. "Thank god, he walked away." You muttered in relief. 

The last hour managed to go by slower than you thought, but hey, at least you survived.

---

As you just were clocking out of work, you notice the creatures vacantness in your clothing. Huh. It must've ran away without you noticing, you felt a little sad of its departure. Hopefully it returned to where it came safely and not eaten stocks or whatever he said. You took the last running bus for the night, just in time.

You hopped on the bus securing a seat. It was pretty vacant, thankfully no one would have to put up with your stench. You ruffled down thinking back to your brother, your eyes closing.