Chapter 7 - Orphe

Art Source - @k_rezero_fanart

Chapter 7 - Orphe

"I'm sorry."

Two words meant to rebuild a relationship once broken. It was supposed to be an innocent word that not even the evilest people could taint. If you don't use those words carefully, and with intent; it could cause a bigger problem to emerge.

Subaru knew Felt didn't think much when she apologized to him for her thoughts against others in the slums, but she created a far bigger problem than she would have ever thought possible. Even if it wasn't said this time, Natsuki Subaru never forgets.

"Felt..." Subaru said, his voice barely above the music. His mind was trying to comprehend where he respawned, and who he was with. His eyes glanced around the casino, slowly being drawn towards the golden hair child in front of him. Once their eyes locked, nothing else mattered.

"Ya heard m-" Her eyes hastily made an escape from their duel. With her usual pride, a comment about his awkwardness was bound to happen, but in an instant, she felt the embrace of Subaru.

The warmth of a hug wasn't there. Coldness overpowered warmth, while happiness was nowhere to be found. It's a type of hug that none of them experienced before.

"Get off me!" Subaru struggled to keep Felt within his embrace. Subaru could feel the annoyance boiling within her. He wanted to let her go, but his body wouldn't let him move a muscle.

In an instant, she stopped putting up a fight. He was surprised but her sudden willingness to hug him. Does that mean she doesn't hate him?

"Big Bro... why are you crying?"

Oh yeah, he was crying. Why was he crying? Isn't he just inconveniencing everyone around him? His pain was in the past, no, in a different timeline. He knew that, after all.

So, why does it hurt so badly?

I... Hate... You...

Tears refused to stop poring out as Subaru clung onto Felt as if his life were on the line. He refused to make any sound. Suffering in silence, as he was always meant to do.

The people around them started to mutter and stare. Some even ran away. Were the people here just that indifferent to suffering? Choosing to run away from it? Oh well, it doesn't matter anymore. The only thing Subaru cared about was Felt's safety. Even as her words echoed through him, he was too stubborn to back down. It would be best if they talked less, for her sake. If that was how she truly felt about him, then he would accept it, but he would never stop trying to change it.

As the waterfall dried up, Subaru let go of Felt and stepped a few feet back. Farther than usual, and Felt took notice by giving him a concerned look. Her eyes softened, as she tried to speak, but kept stopping herself before she could say her words.