Chapter 7: Cocky AF

Chapter 7: Cocky AF

The race was like a piece of cake. It just so happened that one of the racers was a rookie and he ended up crashing his car into the side of the other racer. They created a mess and just as I rounded the corner, I began to drift out to make sure I didn't hit the already bad crash. In my rear view mirror, I saw Paula swerve and miss them but she hit the back of her car on the other car nearly spiraling into a barricade.

"You good, sis?!", I yelled into the walkie that we had connected to our cars for times like this.

"Yeah, didn't pull the brake quick enough. Needed to shift," she explained before she got right back on track.

There was one other car behind her. I didn't pay it any mind as we rounded our last and final corner before the finish line became visible. Paula pulled up beside me and we were neck and neck. She hit her nitrous just a minute to early. I waited for her as I picked up speed then hit my own nitrous pushing me just seconds ahead of her car as we both raced past the finish line.

I hit a donut before coming to a full stop.

"Cocky as fuck
Nigga fuck your opinion
I hustle to get it, I get it, I get it
I am not seeking approval
I'm number one, I tell bitches what to do
He heard I'm Creole, he think I know voodoo
Bitch, I will twist yo' ass up like a noodle
Ho you a copy of me, you a doodle"

The crowd cheered for me while the losers and their groupies booed as I exited my car with my hands raised. They were haters and I knew that they just were mad that I took their money every other week with no remorse.

"Talk yo shit, friend!", Paula shouted as she got out of her car and gave me a big hug.

We were the baddest bitches like I said.

"That's what I'm talking about!", Tej hyped me up as he made it through the crowd. "Y'all keep letting her tap y'all so I can collect." He pulled out the money and handed me my cut which I held up to my ear and threw up my middle finger to the haters grumbling under their breath.

"Another time?"

Before they could answer, the sound of police sirens caught all of our attention. I kicked it into high gear as everyone ran in different directions.

"Follow me!", Paula yelled as we got back into our cars.

I followed her a few blocks over to the garage where we parked our cars and decided to catch a cab home. The police were the least of our worries as we each counted our money and lit up in the backseat despite the cab driver telling us not to smoke.

We tipped him a $50 out to the $100 bill I handed him.

After we climbed back through my window, I nearly crashed out. I was so tired and the rush of adrenaline died down from the win. Paula turned my TV on and I headed to the shower.

[[[ ]]]

I woke up to the smell of burning and my alarm going off. The alarm was a quick fix but as I made it downstairs, I noticed that my sister had decided she was hungry.

"Why are you burning bacon, Sherice?"

The young girl touched the skillet and yelled out in pain at how hot it was.

"Fuck!"

I ran over and turned the heat on the stove down before grabbing a dish towel and adding some ice to it. She was about to cry. I hugged her tight and placed the towel on her hand.

"Girl, what are y'all on?", Paula yawned as she came downstairs and saw us pretty much in the middle of a crisis. "You bitches go sit down and let a real bitch burn in the kitchen."

I rolled my eyes cause I knew how to cook. My sister just probably was too busy on her damn phone and not paying attention.

"Come here, Sherice."

Sherice sat down and kept her hand covered by the dish towel. I spotted my mom's photo albums laid out on the coffee table and pulled them to both of us.

"Mom... she wanted to show me something," Sherice said.

I gave her a look.

"Her life before us."

I picked up the album and the pictures of my mother's past lives were brought to me by every image. I turned page after page and stopped when I saw the man from before on another photo.

Clay Morrow, 1990

I stared at that photo over and over

Who was this man?

Paula brought over our food and I set the album down to grab my plate.

The conversation I needed to have was with my mother. I needed to know the truth and nothing but. It wasn't enough to feel like half of me was missing anymore.

"Thanks, Paula."

"Yeah, girl, I'm starving."

After we ate, I decided to go find my mother. I needed to talk to her for the sake of my own sanity. The man in the picture kept showing up and I needed to know why.