Chapter 6: Airbase

Outskirts of Qua Toyne City, Qua Toyian Principality
Temporary PK-KQ Airbase #235
Central Calendar 1637 (2028), April 12th

At the entrance to the temporary airbase, guarded by fences and Vietnamese air force personnel wielding STV-410s, flashed a bright red sign noting the airbase with the words "Sân Bay số 235, Phòng Không-Không Quân (Airbase #235, Air Defense-Air Force)".

It was currently a rough field as cement was not flown in from the mainland presently, due to the need for aircraft to be on the ground first. The sonic booms of a green colored Su-27SK and a Su-30MK2 were heard as they were both descending on parallel runways. They were the 11th Su-27Sk and 10th Su-30MK2, respectively, to be on the airbase. The Vietnamese aircrews helped the pilots to descend their aircraft, then once on the ground, storing them in a formation with other aircraft inside some temporary hangars built up from steel bars and tents. Needless to say, the pilots were a bit irked at their current situation.

"Couldn't we have taken a bit more time to build it up? Right now it's a bit of a mess don't you think?" An Su-27SK pilot in his normal service blues was sitting in a chair looking at the distance.

"Well, something about Qua Toyne needing our help before the Lourian invasion prompted us to come here sooner, but...they're not attacking." Another pilot sat in another chair beside the first one.

The first one sighed. "The reason is that they're prepping more forces on the border between Qua Toyne and Louria. Heard it's gonna take them till January."

"Wyverns?"

"Probably. Highly doubt it'll do much against a late 20th century fighter jet. But as high command said, best be on our guard."

"Yeah...this world really is something of its own."

The two pilots took out water bottles to drink. After all, it had been a long 20 hours after all the planning before taking off on a 10 minute long flight to the Qua Toyian capital.

As per orders, the Vietnamese pilots were to train the Qua Toyians on how to operate the modern Aero L-39 jet trainer. It took some persuading to get the Qua Toyian Wyvern captain some of his younger men out as they were used to the wyverns they had trained for many years, spanning from childhood to adulthood. The time difference between a Vietnamese trainee and a Qua Toyian wyvern rider would be a big gap, as one had the modern mindset on how a fighter jet would work, as well as understanding the math and science involved in piloting the Sukhois, coupled with reading the Czech letters inside the aircraft.

This would be more of a challenge to the wyvern rider, as they would have to grasp everything mentioned with the Vietnamese trainee, in addition to being able to control a modern fighter jet to not crash it to the ground. It would take time to get them started, as Vietnamese Air Force command estimated it would take at least 3 to 4 years of training before they would become barely qualified enough to fly the steel machine. For now however, it was basic training as the wyvern riders were introduced to the machine they would be flying eventually.

Needless to say, the younger wyvern riders felt a wave of emotions run through them. Some were shocked, some were surprised, while one other looked in excitement.

"Will this be enough to fend off against invaders?" One of the wyvern riders asked in a bit of concern.

"Well to be brutally honest, yes. The technology used in this aircraft far surpasses those used by Louria and your Qua Toyne. Unlike riding a wyvern, this has an assortment of weapons that can be used from afar instead of up close with a fireball. Here, take a look."

The Vietnamese pilot who showed the riders around were greeted by sets of what looked to them huge spears of light.

"Are these the spears of light that we have been getting rumors of?" Another one of the riders asked the pilot.