CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: Scars

We never got to get revenge against Cognac. By the time we had dealt with his crew - now corpses - he'd been long gone, and with the Navy closing in we hadn't had the opportunity to hunt him down.

Two days passed by slowly, the crew taking it easy due to their injuries and long-lasting hangovers. Whatever Cognac had put in the stuff he had given everyone really did a number on them. I was lucky enough to get away with nothing more than a concussion, an impaled wrist and a sliced torso.

"He's in a mood." Killer warned me when my hand poised over the handle to the infirmary door, passing by with a hamper of dirty clothing.
"When isn't he in a mood?" I let my hand drop and turned to him, keeping my intrusive thoughts to myself instead of outwardly commenting on how he looked like a housewife with a basket of laundry resting against his hip.

"You know what I mean. Just don't rile him up too much. He needs to recover." Killer sighed, the sun glinting off his helmet and into my eyes. "How are you holding up? You went through the ringer too."

Shrugging my shoulders, I gave my injured wrist a few twists. It just had to have been the same one the blond had broken upon our first encounter, but it was holding up. It hurt, but it was manageable.
"Who, me? That was nothing. I'm fine and dandy like sugar candy, my dude."

Mostly.

Obviously unconvinced, Killer decided to leave it be, bringing the hamper around to his front when he noticed me staring and struggling not to tease.
"Right. Anyway, just don't excite him too much. He needs rest."

Mirroring the way he had had his hip jutted out, I raised a brow.
"Excite him? What, you think I'm gonna go in there and give him a little strip tease or something?" I scoffed half-heartedly.
"I wouldn't put it past you." Killer responded immediately, throwing me off.

"Wh..what's that supposed to mean? Wouldn't put it past me? What kind of womanish-thing do you take me for?" I gasped, noticing his shoulders bounce up and down slightly, the clothes jostling in the basket.
"It was a joke, (Y/N). I was joking." He responded without vocalising any laughter, and I deflated a little in a form of relief. "I mean just don't banter too much. Once you get him going he's not gonna stay still and behave."

With that, Killer strolled off to continue what he was doing, leaving me to hesitate a few minutes longer before entering the infirmary. It was kind of dark inside, the faint rays of light peeking through the closed blinds bouncing and glinting off of medicine bottles in the cabinet.

Kid was laying down, just as he should have been, but he was fully conscious, eyes on me before I had even looked towards him.
"Took ya damn long enough. Didn't even bring me any food, did ya?" Staight to complaining. It was a good sign.

"You know you need to fast for blood work." I pointed out, opting to sit on the very end of the bed instead of pulling over a chair. My way of getting close to him but maintaining distance.

With an annoyed huff, Kid let his head fall back into his pillow, staring up at the ceiling.
"Ain't nothin' wrong with me. I've had worse." He muttered, but I knew better than that.
"It nearly obliterated your kidney. You could've died. The smarter bet would've been to squish the both of us. I'm pretty durable, you know?"

A nudge of his foot nearly sent me right off the bed, and I instinctively grabbed hold of his ankle. Once I realised, I decided to keep hold of it for a little while longer so it wouldn't seem obvious I was nervous about touching him.

Silently, Kid stared at me, and my stomach began to do all kinds of tricks. His eyes were the brightest things in the room, like the flash of treasure in the dark depths of the ocean.
"You got a scar?" He wasn't going to get into his reasoning with me, but that was fine for now.