Chapter 23

Lucy POV

⚠️Trigger warning: mention of violence.⚠️

Nate stood up and came closer to the bed.

“Theo, Noah, I will need you to step aside for a moment.” Nate said calmly.

“No.” Theo said through his teeth.

“Please, Theo.” Nate sighed. “I need to examine her.”

“It’s okay, Theo.” I looked up at him. “You can come sit with me when he is done.”

Theo studied my face for a few moments. He looked so scared to leave me that I almost caved and told him to stay. But I knew Nate needed room to work.

“Okay.” he whispered and kissed my forehead.

Noah raised his head and wrapped me up in a hug before stepping away. He wiped the tears from his face while Ezra pulled him in a hug.

“Okay, kid.” Nate said, smiling at me. “Where are your other injuries?”

“My ribs and arms are bruised.” I said, trying to stay calm. “There are small cuts on my back.”

“Okay.” Nate nodded. “I need to see them. Would you mind taking your hoodie off?”

I bit my lower lip nervously. I had a sports bra underneath the hoodie, so that wasn’t an issue, but I didn’t know if my brothers would be okay seeing my injuries.

“You don’t have to see this.” I mumbled quietly, looking up at my brothers.

They were standing close to my bed. Ezra had his arms wrapped around Noah, and Liam placed his arm around Theo’s shoulders. Theo and Noah were holding hands.

“It’s okay, love.” Liam said, his voice trembling. “Don’t worry about us. Let Nate see so he can help you.”

I nodded and pulled the hoodie over my head.

My brothers gasped. Noah let out another sob and buried his head in Ezra’s chest.

I reached out and took his hand in mine. “I am so sorry, Noah.”

Seeing him cry made my heart break into a million pieces. I wished I could take his pain away.

He raised his head and looked at me. “Don’t apologize, Sunshine. You have nothing to apologize for.”

The rest of my brothers stared at my bruised arms and ribs. Ezra looked like he was about to cry as well. Liam had a murderous look on his face. Theo looked so mad, and I was so glad that he wasn’t mad at me.

“I will kill him.” Theo mumbled. “I will burn him alive.”

“Theo…” Nate started speaking, but Theo interrupted him.

“No!” he shouted. “He touched her! He hurt her! He hurt what’s mine! Nobody hurts what’s mine!”

Theo was shaking and trying to escape Liam’s strong grip.

“He will pay.” Liam told him quietly. “We will make him pay, Theo. Calm down, please.”

Theo’s eyes fell on me, and a strangled sob escaped him. I opened my arms and Liam let him go. He wrapped me up in a hug and buried his head in my hair.

“I love you.” he mumbled. “I’m so sorry I wasn’t there to protect you.”

“It wasn’t your fault, Theo.” I said, running my fingers through his hair. “And I love you too.”

Theo and I stayed like that for a few moments.

“Theo.” Nate’s voice made him look up. “I need to examine her.”