21. "Why did you lie?"

Chapter Twenty One

Elena's POV

We spent more days in Singapore exploring the city. We went to Universal Studios and tried different rides. It was really fun, I felt like I was a child again. It was one of those things that I never experienced in my life. We also went to Singapore Zoo, where we got chased by little monkeys. We ended up laughing so hard. During our last night in the city, we went to Newton Hackers Center, where we tried different foods. 

All the time, I was fighting my intensifying feeling for Adonis. Loving him could only ruin my original plan. 

The plan, that once Mom would fully recover, we would get free from these hardships, and live together comfortably. A nice and happy home, where she could have her own vegetable garden to keep her occupied. We could get a dog, because we always wanted to have one or two, but could not because the landlord would not allow us. 

But I could not deny the friendship that Adonis and I developed. He was so nice, kind and caring to me. I never felt this kind of affection from a man ever before. It was so new and I never expected it from him. 

We still shared the same room at the Changlis. Adonis offered the bed to me, while he stayed in the couch. The sexual tension between us was overwhelming, but we both brushed off the idea of us getting to something that we would regret. 

--

Our last day in Singapore, I woke up without Adonis in the room. I was on the way to the kitchen when I overheard Adonis and Peter talking in the corridor.

"My bad. During your first day here, I almost called her Trisha," Peter chuckled, "early this year, you got engaged to Trish. I was shocked when you married a different woman."

"Some things are inevitable, I just went with the flow," I heard Adonis answer.

"At first, I wondered if the marriage had something to do with that massive land you're trying to get hold of from Pallis. But nah... you two look really in love."

"Of course we are," Adonis replied then they went away.

A massive land. So, there was a land that belonged to grandfather that Adonis was after. It was the reason why he married me.

Being comfortable talking to Adonis, I confronted him right away. I wanted to hear it from him.

We were in the bedroom, packing when I asked him.

"Tell me the truth, Adonis. Why did you agree to this arrange marriage?"

"I told you already, to unite two of the oldest Greek dynasty and combine the wealth," he folded his shirt neatly and put it inside his luggage. 

"That's bullshit. I know you don't care about that dynasty thingy, and about the wealth-- you got a lot already you don't need it. I know you have a reason behind it."

"You're digging deeper," he straightened, and faced me. His hands on his pants pockets, "okay, I'll tell you the truth, as long as you answer my question also."

"Sure," I answered confidently, clasping my arms together. 

"My grandpa lost a land in a poker bet to your grandfather. I have to get it back at any cost, but Constantine would not accept money. He wanted marriage to you."

The information shocked me. 

"Really? Just for a land?"

"It's not just a land. It's from my ancestors. It holds legacy to the Stavrakos lineage," he sat on the bed. 

"I always thought that you were after for more wealth and power."

He shook his head, "that's the least of my concern. The land is more important."

I nodded, and understood him more. He was determined to take back what belonged to their family, even sacrificing his own happiness. 

"Now, it's your turn," he said firmly, making me jumped.

"Okay, ask away."

"It's obvious that you haven't been here in Singapore before. Why did you lie?"

I was dumbfounded. There was no way out of the question. I had to tell him the truth.

"It was Grandpa's idea. I never studied any business degree in Singapore. You're right. I've never been here either."

"So, where did you study university?"

"I've never been to. There was no choice for me at that time."

He looked confused, "how come?"

"Let's leave it like that for now," I answered, and Adonis nodded. That's what I liked about him. He never pressured me in answering questions that I was not ready to answer. 

Our trip back to New York was more fun.  We played chess in the plane. He beat me more on that level, he was really good in strategy. But I won in our online racing game. He could not beat me. 

He taught me the basics in trading, especially about cryptocurrency.

"It's important for you to know things that the majority of people don't know."

"Tell me more," I got curious. He had a billionaire's mind, and obviously worked differently from majority of the population in the world.

I learned so much from Adonis, not just about business, but how people work and behave in the vastness of the world – in different cultures, beliefs and race. These insights he got also from constant dealing with people, travelling, experiencing different food and culture, reading books and embracing all the knowledge he could take in.

Adonis is a complex man. He's curious about anything in life, very imaginative and intelligent. He wanted to experience a lot of things, and one of them was climbing Mt. Everest.