24 || Standards

Chapter 24: Standards

I was done…

Done with this godforsaken party, done with the alcohol stenched breaths of students who passed by, I was done with it all.

I was way out my comfort zone which was obvious. While my boyfriend, the guy I'd come just to meet, was feets away, unable to even talk.

I wasn't mad, just done.

I picked my bag, making my way to the exit before I found Devin once more.

"You leaving?" He asked.

I casually nodded with a smile, my eyes staring right at the exit which he stood before.

"Come on, you just got here… share a drink with me," he said.

"Devin, I told you, I don't drink." I laughed uneasily, my body aching for the sweet comfort of home.

"Don't worry, no alcohol," he promised. "Just a little drink my mom taught me back at home… it's family recipe, you should be honoured Maddie."

I rolled my eyes playfully as he dragged me into the kitchen, bypassing the herd of people in the hallway.

"Take a seat." He pulled out a stool then tied an apron like he was about to cook some three course meal before opening the fridge and grabbing some bananas, pineapple, three apple slices and a cartoon of milk.

"Okay, Gordon Ramsey," I teased which just got a chuckle from him as he sliced the pineapple.

"Don't know if you're meant to casually start meal prepping at a party though," I said.

"It's a party," he replied. "They won't leave it in the fridge if it wasn't meant to be taken… now where's the avocados?"

I casually drummed by fingers on the granite counter as I waited, my eyes falling from the ceiling to the floors.

"Done!" He said after a while, two glasses of drinks in front of me, I took one.

"Thanks." I smiled. He quickly pressed a finger on my lips as I tried to take a sip.

"Wait!" He sprinkled a pinch of cinnamon powder. "Perfect! Try it."

I finally took a sip. To my surprise, it was pretty good. And by the look on my face, Devin could tell I liked it.

He smiled. "I know, I know… I probably deserve a Michelin star."

I nudged him as we both laughed. "Get over yourself."

I took another sip. It was really good.

This would go really well with Oreos.

"I'm really glad I got to see a familiar face tonight," he said. "I actually asked Jess to come with but she declined."

"Oh"

Did I mention this drink is really good?

"I think she's avoiding me." He chuckled. "Is she mad or something?"

By my love life, I'm sure you could tell I wasn't a love expert. Far from it… but I think I understood Jessica a bit.

"Devin, she's been hurt," I stated. "Last semester, she got her heart broken and I think she's taking time to heal… you're everything that reminds her of her heartbreak…"

I mean he was a handsome, thriving boxer… I wonder who else was?

"Do you love her?" I asked.

Devin stared at me, like he'd just solved a million dollar question. "Yeah," he said.