Chapter 24: Inside Job

A/N: I missed y'all. This is part one of two of a double update. Chapter 25 will be coming shortly. 

This is not edited. Please let me know (politely) if you see any typos.

Love you all. Thanks for sticking around.

xoxo, carm

It was time.

His lack of sleep and general well being had taken its toll, but there was no hope for recovery. The summons had come. His father had finally written to him under the guise of an Easter celebration.

Draco was still on the outs with Granger. He was hoping that it would both mend itself and also continue to corrode so that she wouldn't try to follow him home. He knew, of course, that that was impossible, but it was hope. Hope didn't listen to reason.

Taking his time, he packed his things – brought the important things and assumed the rest of it would be sent later, when he didn't return.

He wondered what they would do with Granger's things.

Shaking off the thought, he headed for Snape's office. He had a Floo that he was going to use. He had barely left the dungeons when he was ambushed. Pulling his wand and casting a Lumos, he realized who it was. "What are you doing here?" It was phrased as a question, but the words lay flat, no lilt to them.

"I want to talk to you," came the reply.

"No." His voice was hard, and he was doing his best to convey finality in it. Of course, it didn't work.

"Where are you going?" she had noticed the bag he was carrying. It seemed to sidetrack her intent for the conversation she'd originally come to have, whatever it was.

"Home," he replied. "Easter," Draco said by way of explanation.

Granger's eyes narrowed at him, and even in the dim light of his wand in the corridor, he could tell that she was calculating something.

"No," she said. "I don't buy it.'

He scoffed indignantly, mildly outraged. "Well, lucky for you, it's not for sale. Nox." Putting the light out, he sidestepped her and tried to move down the hallway.

"I know you're lying," her voice rang out behind him. She had turned in his direction but hadn't yet followed. "I can feel it."

Draco laughed, a scathing sound. "Oh, goody. Granger has a perfect moral compass. Isn't that nice."

"Shut it, you wanker," she said, and it almost sounded like she was biting back a laugh. Gods, he'd missed that sound in her voice, the one where she's trying to teach him a lesson but can't hold back her laughter. Suddenly, a realization struck her and she stepped away from him. "But you're lying to me, and I know it."

Draco rolled his eyes, even though she was right on the money. "For a know it all, you don't know nearly as much as you think you do." The hurricane that was tossing his stomach intensified as he realized what his next step would have to be.

Granger prattled on, surely yelling at him, but he wasn't listening. He was only thinking about what his next inevitable, yet unforgivable step would be.

Raising his wand, he heard her cut herself off with the words, "Draco, what are you–"

"Imperio."

Granger froze, a sheen glazing over her eyes. "I'm sorry," his voice broke. "You may never forgive me for this, but I'll never forgive myself if–" he choked on his words. "You have to stay here. You can't follow me. You must. Stay. Here." Draco was hoping that if he reiterated the only command he had for her, she would actually listen.