Chapter 27

Liam POV

“Fuck!” I screamed as soon as my office doors closed.

I rested my hands on my desk, bending my head forward, trying to keep myself from destroying my fucking office. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I need to calm down.

I turned around to see Ezra loosening his tie with a pissed off look on his face.

“What the fuck are we going to do?” I groaned, running a hand through my hair.

“I’m now regretting not considering Theo’s idea.” Ezra grunted, taking his tie off completely and opening a few of the top buttons of his shirt.

Oh, I’m regretting it now too. I wanted to kill them as much as Theo did. But I knew it wasn’t the right path. None of us could go to jail and leave her again.

“Ezra.” I said warningly.

“I don’t know, Liam.” Ezra sighed and walked to the liquor cabinet.

He raised a bottle of whiskey and gave me a questioning look. I nodded, and Ezra grabbed two glasses. I didn’t need a glass though, I needed the whole fucking bottle.

“We have to talk to her.” Ezra said, handing me my glass. “She can’t be alone for a minute from now on.”

I raised my eyebrow at him. “Like Theo would let that happen. Noah and he are attached to her at the hip.”

Ezra chuckled before frowning. “She’s been so happy lately.”

My heart tugged painfully.

Ezra is right. Other than having a bad day after she had to talk to the police officers about Jack and Brian, Lucy has been a ray of sunshine.

It’s been a week since we left the hospital. Her fever was gone and the cut on her stomach started healing nicely. Nate came every other day to clean it and bandage it. He didn’t want her to have to go to the hospital, so he came to our house. Lucy and he became such good friends. They were always joking around and laughing, which made my heart swell in my chest.

We have been spending so much quality time together. Lucy shouldn’t really move a lot because of her ribs, so we haven’t been outside much, but we have found a lot of different things to do together inside the house.

We watched a lot of movies. We talked and laughed. We played all sorts of board games, which Lucy kept winning, and Noah and Theo were convinced she was cheating. We cooked together and we ate every meal together. Lucy started eating a little bit more and her weight increased slightly. She was getting healthier.

Ezra and I had to go to work, but we made arrangements to spend as much time at home as possible. We have been enjoying each and every moment with our sister.

Ezra and I just came back from the police station. We filed the report against Jack and Brian a few days ago. Lucy gave her statement. Nate gave them her medical records, report of all her injuries, and he made his own statement to the police.

When they called us in today, I thought they would tell us that they had them in custody. I thought they would start rotting away in prison after today, waiting for a trial that would put them away for a very long time.

Never in a million years did I think they would tell us that they couldn’t find them.

The fuckers ran away.

The police officers talked to Jack’s neighbors. Apparently, he left the house the same day Lucy did. He had a small backpack with him, and he got picked up by a 1980 Ford Bronco. Police later found out that the car that picked up Jack was Brian’s and that he was missing as well.