Chapter 3: Drugs

Drugs.

That was the one and only thought on my mind as I exited my last class before lunch. The hallway was buzzing with kids who were starving and excited about the small 45 minute break. I whisked past them effortless, barely even thanking Rueben as he handed me the last five dollars I needed to get the addicting substance. Totally unaware Hunter had given me five this morning.

A small part me feels guilty again, as I realize I was basically stealing from my brothers. But, the other half of me, the half that was ready to break free, was ecstatic at the idea of being known.

The wad of cash was soundless and light in my pocket. So deadly and undetectable that I found myself constantly checking to see if it was still there.

I made my way to Zach's locker. His grey eyes went wide as he took in my appearance before an easy smile graced his lips. Even as his best friend who stood entirely behind him I knew how average Zach was, even his looks made him easily forgettable in a crowd.

So, with nothing else to fucking loose we both decided to make a name for ourselves. To be recognized as us and only who we are.

"I got my half man, do you have yours?" He asked falling in stride next to me, his short 5'8 height made him have to walk quickly to keep up. I glanced at him rolling my eyes at the question. Of course I did. I ignored my empty belly as we passed a group of cheerleaders, they didn't bat an eyelash as we passed. As if weren't even there. I smiled at them anyway, knowing after we had the party everyone in this damn school would know us. I had been saving up for weeks. Skipping out on lunch to save the five bucks Hunter would give me every morning. It had been hard to go undetected when I shared a lunch with both Rue and Ozzie. I was pretty sure Oscar had noticed, but I had noticed his lack of eating too. Something that would cause far more trouble for him in our household than my random odd behavior.

"Yeah, of course. Also, not trying to be mean, but let me do the talking, okay? Sometimes you say things that well...make people want to hit you. " I tell him, my eyes dropping to pin him with a look as we turn a corner. Our footsteps slow gradually as we begin to walk down the hallway that would end eventually end, leading us to beginning of us.

Well if things went according to plan.

I blink rapidly as I try to adjust my eyes to the dimly lit hallway. Most of the lights overhead were busted giving everything a dangerous appeal.

This hallway was the safe haven for all burnouts. This was the only hallway that you would never find a student council poster. Never spot an honor kid. It was the place you took fights to. Not even teachers were daring enough to come down here.

My eyes run over the dingy looking yet colorful lockers. Scattered graffiti tells stories revealing that despite the names the kids down here were called, they still had talent. A few amble cuss words finish off the whole atmosphere.

I take my lip into my mouth as I return my eyes to Zach who had yet to reply. I could tell he was nervous from the way his eyes kept jumping to the people at their lockers in a paranoid manner. Despite being the dud of his family it was no secret that the Milton's were one of the richest people in town, and even though he was no miracle child he had never needed a thing in his life.

He could easily have bought the drugs himself, but decided he wanted to do something on his own and made us split the cost. Adding on the gold $500 watch he sported on his arm made him stick out like a sore thumb.

"What? Everybody loves me." Zach says swatting away my words, his eyes dart to a group of guys whose eyes follow us as their loud laughter paints the seemingly dark hall. Zach shrinks further into his below average height, and shoves his hands into his pocket. Trailing a little closer to my side. This only seemed to make the group of boys howl louder. "What the fuck are those druggies laughing about?" Zach hisses his voice a little too loud. His words immediately quiet the laughter.