Chapter 1 - Announcements

"Another guardian?" Bunnymund exclaimed, his large paws spread to the side. He glared at North, then jerked his head towards Jack. "We're still adjusting to the last one!"

"Watch it, Easter," Jack said with a smirk. "I saved your life. You should thank me."

Bunnymund rolled his eyes. "I'll thank you when I pass on to the tunnels in the sky."

"Jack, Bunny, enough," North said sharply, stepping forward. "This is serious."

North turned his face to the Man in the Moon, his eyes twinkling. There was something about this Guardian that would be different than all the others - he could feel it in his belly. Manny had been all too quiet recently, and that scared the big man.

Tooth fluttered her wings. She was excited about having a new Guardian to train (maybe it will actually be a girl this time, the fairy thought with as much annoyance as she could muster), but something was off. She bit her lip and looked at her friends.

Bunnymund sighed and slipped an unpainted egg out of his bag, a paintbrush rolling out after it. Green, he thought, and green paint appeared on his brush. He leaned back on his haunches and started painting the egg, bored.

Jack twirled his staff and froze an elf as it walked by. He picked a cookie from the tray it had been carrying, then bit into it. The only reason he hadn't left yet was because maybe the other Guardians would finally stop calling him "Newbie".

Sandy made a puppy out of dreamsand and let it loose to a couple of elves who had gathered nearby out of curiosity. As soon as the little animal bounded over to the elves, they scattered, the bells on the ends of their hats chiming. Sandy laughed silently.

"The silhouette doesn't even show who it might be," Tooth said quietly.

North: "Groundhog?"

Bunny: "It'd better not be the Groundhog."

North: "Leprechaun."

Bunny: "I swear to Manny, if it is the Leprechaun -"

North: "Cupid."

Bunny: "Please, not Cupid. Please, not Cupid..."

Tooth: "What if it's a villain?"

Jack: "Headless Horseman?"

The sound of twinkling and sand drew the attention of the Guardians, who had begun rapidly firing ideas into the air as to who this mysterious new Guardian might be. Bunny and Jack were in the middle of a heated argument about Father Time (whom Jack had never met and Bunny had, but it was a single brief encounter). North patted Jack's shoulder with the back of his hand, then gave his consideration to the golden boy. Bunny sighed and shook his head at Jack, then turned his eyes to Sandy. Tooth sent a couple of fairies off, then smiled at the sand boy. Sandy pointed at North.

North laughed, then nodded at Sandy with a grin. "I already am a Guardian, Sandy, but it was a good idea."

Sandy shook his head, then pointed down the hall to their right. Two Yetis stood protecting the door, staring straight ahead, as they had been instructed to do. North and Sandy were keeping her a secret; the others didn't know what was behind the slab of decorated wood.

"You mean (Y/N)?" North asked.

"Who's that?" Bunny demanded.

"I've never heard of this... (Y/N)," Jack said.

"Are you keeping something from us, North?" Tooth asked.

Sandy floated towards the door and knocked quietly.

The door opened slowly, and a girl of (age) appeared.

"N-North?" she said quietly.

Bunnymund's boomerangs fell to the floor.