Chapter 6: Late

Late.

It's late when my brothers finally slip back into our room.

I turn on my side as I hear them shuffling around. They don't turn on the light and I'm fully prepared to start snoring if that would mean being saved from teasing comments from Rue.

There's only a slight chuckle and murmur passed between them before I hear beds sinking.

I let out a quiet sigh, feeling my own bed dip and my covers pulled up.

Legs are soon entangled in mine and an arm falls across my waist. I turn over my eyes meeting the same shade I saw every time I looked in the mirror. The pale green within Oscar's eyes seem to glow.

He blinks at me in surprise, obviously not expecting me to be awake. He slowly draws his arm back giving me a small apologetic smile that only gives a slight hint that he has dimples.

"Did I wake you?" He asks quietly. His dark brown hair is draped across his shoulders, some of it falling into his face.

I shake my head wanting to brush it away. I don't though, instead staring at the way the dark waves of his thick hair lays on his cheek giving his sharp features more of a feminine appeal.

His thick pink lips are a bit swollen and I have to pinch myself so I don't think of the way Augustus had been holding his cock earlier.

I really hadn't expected him to be that big.

I watch as he moves his hair from his face, hooking it behind his ear.

"No, how was your day? I mean besides the part where I made a fool of myself."

He laughs lightly at that, his nose crinkling the slightest as if he was thinking. "I'm sorry, you'll have to be clearer than that."

I stick my tongue out at him, knowing he wouldn't bring up my mortifying experience beyond that. It's one of the many qualities he has that I appreciate.

I pull the covers tightly around us and shut my eyes feeling my legs skim against his as I stretch out more.

It's quiet and dark in the room and I can feel both. The quiet being occasionally shooed away by darkness as my older brothers breathe out into it. It's comfortable. Easy. It's the only time I didn't mind sharing a room.

"Ash?" His voice is hesitant as he calls my name making my eyes flicker open to meet his.

"Yeah?" I hum lightly, sleep leaving a heavy accent on me.

"You came into lunch late today." He says slowly as if he was trying to sort out the right words to use. "I saw you sitting with the popular kids....you shouldn't hang out with them. They're really mean."

I close my eyes again giving a shrug that I doubt he can see.

"They're not that bad. I mean they can't be, they are popular. And, I was hanging out with Zach. We were just in the front of the school." I lie through my teeth on the last part. We had been as far from the front of the school as one can get.

I try to contain my guilt as I feel a soft breath of air blow across my face as Oscar says O. I know I shouldn't be lying to my brothers. I can fucking feel the guilt whenever I do.

But.

I have to.

"Are you lying to me?"

My eyes immediately snap open at his words. His face is twisted into a mask of hurt and he's chewing on his bottom lip.