CHAPTER EIGHT

─── ・ 。゚☆ : *

─── ・ 。゚☆ : *. JUST A DREAM
(
chapter eight  ─ act one )

────────────

Rory laid in bed awake the next morning, refusing to move a muscle. She stayed underneath the covers, staring mindlessly at the walls. She paid no attention to the maids as they cleaned her room, ignoring their requests for her to rise from the bed. Even after there was a knock on her door and her cousin entered, she still paid him no mind.

"We've tried everything, sir," Rory heard a maid whisper to her cousin. "But Aurelia just won't move."

"It's alright," Alek said reassuringly, sitting at the foot of the bed as the maids left the room. "Are you going to stay in here and sulk all morning?"

"Yes," She muttered. Well, at least she was talking. He was making progress.

"Well, can you at least go take a shower? You're beginning to smell." Rory only pulled the covers tighter around herself at Alek's poor attempt to make a joke. "Come on, Rory."

"He knows, Alek."

Rory could still hear her uncle's words replaying in her head. He didn't say anything to her nor did he have to. She knew from the way he was looking at her that he knew. Karsh knew about her and Klaus, and it was safe to assume that Ileana knew as well.

"So what? What difference does it make in the end?"

"Did you see his face? He looked so disappointed in me," Rory whispered, more so to herself than Alek. "You know, sometimes I wish we didn't have to go back home, so I didn't have to be reminded about how much of a disappointment I am to everyone." She then paused, remembering what fate had in store for now. "And will be."

"You are not," Alek refuted strongly before letting out a sigh. "But it's nice that you're finally acknowledging the situation."

"Alek-"

"I know that everything's different now, we all know it. And the worst part about it was that everyone was just acting like nothing happened ... and so were you," Alek said lowly, lost in his thoughts about what happened prior to their arrival in France.

"Because I hate it," muttered Rory, her eyes stinging with tears. "God, I hate it so much. I feel Mother and I are being punished for someone else's actions, and have to be stuck with something we never wanted."

"Because you are."

Rory then sat up, breathing unevenly as she stared down at the bed with tear-stained cheeks. Alek watched her carefully, finally realizing how much it all left her broken. "How are we supposed to go on now?" She asked genuinely. "How are we supposed to carry on now that everything's different? What am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know, but we'll find a way. This family always does." Alek then reached out and grabbed Rory's hand. "And I will be by your side every step of the way."