Chapter Sixteen

Ciden

He'd felt like he was being followed for a while now.

It had been three days since he'd left his friends, and he hadn't been able to sleep since.

He was aware that someone was preying on him, only waiting for the right opportunity to take him out.

And he knew who it was.

Yet he was fine with it as long as he could keep him away from his friends. But now there was nowhere for him to go. Riding around in the woods wasn't going to be an option for much longer. If it didn't end soon, he might lose his mind. Calimir needed a break too. He had carried him around with only a few breaks. Ciden was sorry for pushing him so hard but he didn't dare stopping for too long.

The more he strode through the dense trees, the more he could feel the emptiness filling him.

He'd only been with them for a few days, yet despite his best efforts, he'd grown attached. He had felt confined by the people around him for years. No matter who he was with, he never got rid of the constant feeling of being watched, like everyone was just waiting for him to make a mistake. This was the first time he felt completely at ease with anyone. And, like everything else in his already miserable life, Dyon had to ruin this as well.

He was wondering how they were doing, especially Jamie.

He reminded Ciden of the only friend he had had growing up. That was the one thing he didn't lie about when he first met them. Luan Vliton was the closest thing he'd ever had to a friend. He had been the son of two of his family's servants for years, until one day he suddenly disappeared. They were both sixteen at the time. Ciden couldn't even ask about him because no one was aware of their friendship in the first place since his parents would never have allowed him to speak to a servant. At least not his father. His mother, on the other hand...he didn't want to think about her.

All he knew was that his one friend had been gone, and he'd been alone once again. Just like right now.

Or perhaps not, now that he'd heard the rustle of the leaves in the tree next to him. A second later, a cloaked figure landed flawlessly and completely silently on the ground in front of him. His face was hidden by a mask that reached all the way to his eyes, which were the only thing visible on him.

Vayne was observing him as if he hadn't been following Ciden for three days now. Or for three weeks...

He hadn't seen him in a while, but from what he could tell, he hadn't changed a bit—the same attire, the same posture, and the same expression in those lifeless eyes. The same eyes in which he had once seen an ally. He should have known better.

"I'm assuming you know why I'm here," Vayne started coldly.

Ciden merely nodded. Dyon must have changed his mind. Or he had found something out...

"I'll tell you what's going to happen: you'll come with me, and if you're smart, you won't have me force you to come. You and your brother will have a nice little family reunion, and then he'll do whatever it is he planned for you."

He took a step closer. Calimir backed away from him.

"Oh, and you won't have to worry about your new friends you abandoned. I took care of them."

Ciden had already prepared himself for a confrontation with his brother, but he'd been convinced that if he left, his friends would be safe.

"What did you do?" he whispered.

Ciden could tell Vayne was grinning by the small creases that formed around his eyes. He jumped off his horse and approached Vayne. "What the hell did you do to them?" he cried out, grabbing him by the throat and pushing him against the tree. He was searching for a glimpse of humanity in his eyes, but found nothing.

"Let's just say I wouldn't depend on them coming to your rescue," Vayne replied, amused.

Ciden felt like he'd been hit in the gut, yet he didn't let go of Vayne. But Vayne had enough of it. He loosened Ciden's grasp on his throat and turned them around so Ciden's back slammed against the tree in one swift motion. Vayne cut Ciden's air off with his forearm till he saw black spots. He didn't try to defeat Vayne; instead, he simply let him do to him whatever he wanted. He deserved it.

Vayne let him go before he passed out. Ciden collapsed to the ground, coughing, as he lost his support.

"Calm down," Vayne demanded, peering down at him. "They're still alive. At least three of them. But I assume they could save the other one." He crouched down and lowered his voice. "Let's hope they got the message not to get in my way. We don't want this journey to turn into a bloodbath now, do we?"

Ciden shivered, but sighed lightly.

They were still alive. That was all he wanted. And if they were clever enough not to follow them in order to prevent whatever Dyon had planned for him, he was fine with whatever happened next.

So he chose to believe and willingly follow him. He couldn't get away anyhow.

He got up and faced him, who was standing again as well. "I'll come with you. Just...leave them alone."

He had wanted to sound threatening, but his words came out as an exhausted whisper.

Vayne nodded. "Get up then," he replied, gesturing to the horse.

Ciden followed suit.

Vayne indicated for him to follow his lead, which he did. He led them farther into the woods, where his own horse was tied to a tree branch. As soon as he had mounted as well, they continued strolling through the trees at a decent pace. Dyon either didn't care as much as he used to, or he wanted Ciden to suffer for a few days before they even saw each other.