Chapter 12

Breakfast was good. It was tasty and filling, and Rory enjoyed the quiet. What she didn't enjoy was the obvious tension between Glenn and Maggie as they were clearly disagreeing on something from half way across the farm. She also didn't really like it when people announced bad secrets, especially at breakfast.

"Um, guys?" Glenn asked nervously. Rory had a bad feeling about this. "So, um.. the barns full of walkers."

Of course it was.

•••

"You cannot tell me you're allright with this." Shane yelled to Rick in disbelief. Rory curled a little closer to Lori.

"No, I'm not. But we're guests here." Rick responded. "This isn't our land."

"Oh, god! This is our lives, man." Shane sneered.

"Lower your voice!" Glenn stressed to the older male.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug." Andrea vocalised.

"It ain't right." T-Dog added. "Not remotely."

"We either gotta go in there, we gotta make things right, or we just gotta go." Shane ordered, pacing wildly. Rory frowned, she didn't want to leave. "Now, we have been talking about Fort Benning for a long time."

"We can't go!" Rick asserted.

"Why, Rick?" Shane pushed. "Why?"

"Because my daughters still out there." Carol stated quietly.

"Okay." Shane stammered before sighing heavily. "I think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility."

"Dad? We're not leaving Sophia behind." Rory scolded, moving forward, only for Lori to gently pull her back. She couldn't believe her dad right now.

"Im close to finding this girl." Daryl spoke up. "I just found a damn doll a few days ago."

"You found a doll, Daryl." Shane laughed. "That's what you did. You found a doll."

"Dad, stop!" Rory pleaded, only for it to fall on deaf ears as Daryl began shouting.

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about!"

"Hey! Look, I'm just saying what needs to be said." Shane defended. "Now, if you get a good lead, it's in the first fourty eight hours, and after that it don't matter."

"Shane, stop."

"Let me tell you something else, man." Shane argued. "If she was alive out there, saw you coming, all methed out with your buck knife and geek ears around your neck, she would run in the other direction, man."

Rory and Carls eyes both went wide with fear as Shane had to be pulled away from Daryl, Rick separating the two.

"Now, just let me talk to Hershel." Rick stated. "Let me figure this out."

"Now, what are you gonna figure out!" Shane screamed, advancing on Rick. Lori pushed him away from her husband as the two children whimpered near by, scared that their fathers were fighting.

"If we're gonna stay, if we're gonna clear this barn." Rick explained harshly. "I have to talk him into it. This is his land."

"Hershel sees those things in there as people, sick people." Dale spoke up. "His wife, his— his stepson."

"You knew?" Rick accused.

"Yesterday. I talked to Hershel."

"And you waited the night?" Shane scoffed.

"I thought we could survive one more night." Dale defended. "We did... I was waiting till this morning to say something. But Glenn wanted to be the one."