27. A Fire

CHAPTER – 27

LOVE IS... A FIRE

'Love is a fire. But whether it's gonna warm your heart or burn your house down, you can never tell.'

I couldn't exactly tell whether the murmurings had started once I was left alone at a corner of the party upon Kim and Keith's exit from the venue and when Ashton took leave amidst our conversation, or they were there since our arrival. But now when I was left alone, I couldn't stop them from reaching my ears.

"I can't believe he is here tonight."

"Isn't this his first appearance in months?"

"I didn't think he was going to be here tonight."

"I know, right? Especially after everything that happened the last time, it comes as a surprise."

"Do you think he is still taking drugs?"

"He looks stoned tonight."

"And so does the girl who came with him."

"Well, I think he looks exceptionally handsome tonight. Maybe he is not an addict anymore."

"When it comes to Ashton Parker, you can never say."

"I agree. I've been to school with him and I know that he is excellent at pretending."

These were few of the many statements that my brain registered in the crowd. Some people claimed to have gone to school with him, some said they were classmates in college, some dragged attention of their respective little crowds by saying that he used to play baseball with them when they were kids, about twenty odd people made their listeners gasp by telling that they used to be best friends once and that 'once' was before he got into 'bad things', and fifteen women of different age groups had claimed to take Ashton's virginity.

Rolling my eyes at the amusing rumors that the people in the party were indulging in, I started searching for Ashton. It had been almost half an hour since he disappeared somewhere and I had been getting utterly bored since Kim and Keith said their goodbyes about twenty minutes back.

All I wanted to do was find Ashton and go home.

With a sigh, I left the support of the wall and placed the untouched wine on the nearby table. Alcohol and I couldn't get along well. This was just another one of the many differences between Ashton and me. The list was getting longer by the passing days.

A few more rumors were heard and ignored by me as I made my way towards the bathroom. It looked like even the bathroom was built up especially for the party hall. My average earning brain started doing mental calculations about the money they must have spent on something as useless as a 'Party Hall' in their mansion. Shaking my head at myself, I entered one of the stalls and did my business. Just as I was fixing my clothes, I heard two girls entering inside the bathroom giggling their hearts out.

"He is so hot. Definitely hotter than Dylan."

"No! I find Dylan hotter. Have you looked at his eyes? Wow!" the other girl said.

"Well yes, but Ashton has that dangerous, serious spark in his eyes that makes me drool," the first girl said.

Ashton's name pricked up my ears and my imagination was fast enough to picture his beautiful eyes. I couldn't disagree with her. Their laughter brought me back and the second girl asked, "When did he come back from rehab?"

"So even you heard that he went to a rehab again some four months back?"

"Of course! Everyone knows it. Taking drugs lands you there. It's the truth anyways. I mean, Priscilla never told anybody exactly where he was during these months."