[ 29 ] Another Loss

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
• another loss •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

BEN LAUNCHED HIMSELF at Thomas. His hands reached for his shoulders, pushing him off his feet and onto the ground. Evony reacted immediately, moving to try to pull the boys off of one another.

Her attempt resulted in Ben swinging his arm, and nailing her in the side of her head with his elbow. Unbalanced, she fell back onto the ground, holding her one hand to her head as she hoped for the pounding to subside.

It didn't, and she didn't have time to wait for it to. Ben had gone after Thomas again, and now the brunet was shuffling away from the blonde, trying to get himself back on his feet.

"Go!" he yelled at her, his voice straggling from the hand that was blocking his airway. Ben's hands pushed down on his collerbone, pinning him to the ground.

Evony didn't oblige, and instead started to search the area around them. Her eyes scanned the spots between her feet, seeking out an item that wasn't a leaf or pine cone.

"I saw you," Ben muttered, acting suspiciously calm compared to Thomas' frantic struggles, "You did this."

She spotted a rotten skull from one of the past livestock and placed it in her hand.

"I saw you!"

Thomas messed his hands in Ben's face, doing anything he could to mislead the boy from attacking him. His hands were gripped tightly onto him, one on the scarred letters on his wrist and the other around the base of his neck.

Evony didn't second guess when she raised the skull up in the air and brought it crashing against Ben's head. It startled him, giving Thomas enough time to slip out from under and escape.

She was already running by the time he caught up with her. The two took off, sprinting up the hill as fast as they could to get away from their attacker. Not even three seconds after they had managed to make an escape did she hear the sound of crunching leaves from behind her.

That only made her adrenaline spike, and her legs picked up to a pace that she didn't know she was capable of. Thomas was right by her side, looking back every few seconds to make sure Ben hadn't caught up to them.

They were so caught up in the mindset of escaping that neither of the pair noticed the downwards hill that laid before them. Without proper control of their momentum, the two were sent tumbling down, knocking into each other as their bodies rolled in the dirt.

When they finally reached the bottom they realized that they weren't alone. Ben was still there, and he was coming awfully close to catching them.

Evony grabbed Thomas' hand, yanking him off the ground and giving him a boost. Again the two ran through the woods. They ran until they saw the Glades green grass and dark stone walls. She could feel her heart pulsing through her body, making it feel as if every part of her had a heartbeat.

The sensation didn't go away when they made it out of the woods. It only heightened as she heard Thomas scream and felt the brush of a hand on the back of her shirt.

It happened in a matter of seconds.

Ben's hand latched onto the fabric of her shirt, yanking her back. He pushed her to the side, the unsteady force too strong for her distorted mind to handle. She landed on the ground, hitting her back and taking the air out of her lungs.

At the loss of her presence Thomas turned his head back, but that was a mistake. His split second of indecisiveness allowed for Ben to dive for the brunet's foot and drag them both onto the ground.