[ 30 ] Gone, Gone, Gone

CHAPTER THIRTY
• gone, gone, gone •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"OKAY, BUT WHY would Alby go in the maze?" Thomas asked, "I mean he's not a runner. Why not Max or something?"

"Excuse me?" Max replied, offended.

Evony looked up from her lap where she had been weaving two large leaves together. She caught his eager glare; she sighed. "Newt and I discussed this with him last night. There's no need to worry; he knows what he's doing."

"What Evony said,'' the blonde added on quickly, taking a momentary break from using his machete. "Alby went to retrace Bens footsteps before sundown."

"So he's going to go back to the spot Ben was just at?"

"Yes," everyone replied.

"Okay," he paused, "but why him?"

"Thomas," she urged, glaring at him to indicate he needs to stop asking questions. The brunet sunk in his seat, eyes drifting over to where Chuck was carving a piece of wood. His fingers then went to his throat, rubbing over a bruise that was still as prominent as the day before.

Evony noticed the action and moved to take a seat next to him on the log. She settled for reaching her hand to his neck, fluttering her fingers over the light bruising that was already taking place near Adam's apple.

"Does it hurt?" she asked softly.

"Only when I talk."

Evony cracked a smile, "It's a good thing you're not Max then; he never stops." Thomas smiled fondly at her, and she glanced over to her left to see Max's reaction.

He was standing with his arms crossed, mouth agape. "I can't believe you would say such a thing."

"The truth hurts," Newt piped up, "Doesn't it?"

Chuck stifled a laugh.

"Why does stuff always happen to my throat?" Thomas redirected, voicing his inner thoughts like he happened to do quite a lot. Evony forced a smile at the dry humor, while Max choked out a laugh

"Maybe it's a sign from the universe that you need to shut up," he snarled, pointing the blade of the knife in his direction.

Evony stood back up, kicking Max in the shin and forcing him back to work. She continued with her leaves, folding over the edges as she listened to Thomas and Chuck betting about what Frypan would be making for dinner.

The rest of the day carried on as normal, the Gladers did their jobs and most of the runners returned to the maze at the expected time. However the clouds soon turned gray, and the once pillow-like objects in the sky turned into looming shadows. They hung over the Glade for a while, that was until raindrops started to spew down from above, drenching anything in sight.

Everyone ran to take cover under the tarp sections that had been prepared for any instances like this. Evony sat with Thomas and Chuck under a small covering that hosted one hammock beneath. Currently Chuck was the one laying in it, while Evony sat with her back against a tree with Thomas in between her legs.