Chp. 12

When I locked eyes the girl I had left behind year ago I felt my heart contracted with a pain. The sensation was something I hadn't felt since the day I had caught her cheating on me. I felt as if my legs were going to give out from under me any moment, which was probably due to the fact that all of my oxygen had immediately left my lungs when I had seen her. I realized that she was in fact here, calling me, and accepting my past back into my present was proving to be tremendously difficult. I had no idea what I could possibly say to her, or what she could possibly want to say to me. It had been so long without any communication, but now looking at her I had a feeling she had something she wanted to tell me.

She still had her long sandy hair, and her green eyes were frantically searching mine, as if she hadn't expected me to turn around. She was still about an inch taller than me, like she always had been, and she even smelt the same.

How could I remember her smell after all these years...?

For a moment I believed I was in shock, because once she spoke that's when I felt all of the anger and pain wash over me like a giant wave.

She spoke softly, "Bree..."

I shook my head, not understanding or knowing anything I could say to this girl. I didn't want her to be here, but she was, and I had instantly regretted coming out tonight.

"I'm so sorry," she pleaded, seeing that I had no motivation to speak to her.

The response triggered something within me, the anger coursing profusely as I felt my eyes nearly bulging out of my head. There was so much pain that I thought I was going to grab her hair and rip it right out of her head. How could she come all the way over here, intrude on my party, and tell me she's sorry after three fucking years?

I mocked, "You're sorry? For what? Fucking me over and then allowing me to live three years without any closure?"

There was a significant amount of acid in my voice, more than I had ever used before. It wasn't in my control, but it was happening, and it was happening in front of everyone. I blamed it on my current state, which was slightly drunk but rapidly sobering up from this messed up situation.

I felt Drew's arm instinctively wrap around my waist, either from the fear of me actually hurting Ashley or something else.

I could see something in Ashley's eyes, the ones I used to love so much. Now all I had towards her was hate, regret, and a bunch of other emotions I dared not to acknowledge. She was embarrassed, but she was also angry with me. I didn't understand why, she was the one who had fucked me over.

"It's not like I had the opportunity, Bree."

I was biting my lip so hard I was convinced that I was going to chew it right off, but the more I stood in front of this girl the angrier I became.

Before I could respond I heard Drew chime in, feeling the obvious tension surrounding us. "We're leaving, Bree's drunk and she isn't in her right mind for this."