Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Kai

Once Neau had landed completely, I hopped off of her back before turning and helping Lily down. She seemed nervous as she looked around at all of the different members of my tribe that had gathered to see my return.

"Kaisen! Welcome back!" The powerful voice exclaimed as I turned in time to see the crowd parting for our tribe's leader, Elgen and his husband, Vaeh. Elgen was maybe a little shorter than me but still taller than Lily. His skin was a cream yellow color as he finally made it through the crowd before stopping in front of us as Lily laced her hand with mine. Looking down at her, I gave her hand a soft squeeze before redirecting my attention back to Elgen. "Kaisen, I see you've brought someone back with you?" He questioned with a smile on his face as Lily squeezed my hand.

"Yes, this is Lilium. She didn't seem like a threat so I brought her back." I explained as the murmurs around us grew louder. "Lilium seeks refuge as she and others have been dumped by the humans. She is not a threat." I informed, a little louder as silence fell over the crowd.

"Refuge for a human?! The same people that tried to kill us?!" Somebody shouted amongst the crowd as others piped up to agree with them. "Why don't she just go back to where she came! She's from the stars and only danger lurks!" Another shouted as I could hear Lily's heart rate start to speed up. This was growing tiresome. I thought while frowning while looking down at Elgen who scratched his blonde beard before looking over at Vaeh.

"Why not give her an opportunity to prove herself? After all, I am also from the stars." Vaeh spoke up as the crowd fell silent once again. It was said that Vaeh fell from the stars when Elgen was just a mere adolescent. Vaeh was kind of strange looking unlike Lily. He was gray with different shades of fluorescent wings and instead of hair, he had two antennas. It was told that Elgen fell in love with Vaeh at first sight.

"You are right, my love." Elgen stated as the crowd remained silent, not wanting to go up against Vaeh's word. "But, if you prove to be a danger to our people, I will have no choice but to put you down." He explained while looking at Lily who slowly nodded.

"Thank you." She all but mumbled as Elgen smiled before turning back to the crowd.

"Do not make any trouble for our new resident." He ordered while making his way back through the crowd. "Welcome to the Apia Tribe, Lilium." He called back over his shoulder as the crowd slowly began to disperse, a few staying behind to stare at Lily before I ran them off. Sighing, I turned back to Lily who remained resilient. Once it was just us, she finally met my eyes before relaxing. She pulled off her mask before smiling up at me.

"I'm fine now, Kai." She breathed while smiling up at me again as I couldn't help but hug her. "Oof, big guy. Thank you, that's much needed." She quietly laughed while hugging me back before burying her face into my chest. "I'm glad you're with me. Now, where are we off to?" She asked while pulling back to look up at me as I hadn't thought that over yet.

"How about we go back to my house and get cleaned up, eat, and get plenty of rest? Then, I'll take you around the city tomorrow?" I inquired as she looked up at me before agreeing.

"That sounds like a good plan to me. I'm a little tired from traveling for so long." She explained while turning her head to yawn into her hand as I gently led her towards the jungle. "Do you live this way?" She inquired while leaning her head on my arm as I smiled.

"I do. It's closer to the jungle and farther away from the city. It's better to have quietness while I work." I explained as she gently nodded her head while grasping my hand and lacing our fingers together. "If you're tired, you can ride Neau until we get to my house." I suggested as she just shook her head as I slowed my pace to match hers.

"I'm okay. It's nice to finally stretch my legs." She mumbled while sighing. "By the way, Kaisen?" She asked while looking up at me through hooded eyes as I smiled down at her.

"Yeah, it's my actual name though I usually go by Kai. It sounds good to hear you say it." I quietly laughed as she quickly looked away. "Anyway, I think we should prepare for tomorrow though. I'm sure word has gotten around by now about us so we should be expecting a visitor or two in the morning." I sighed as she quietly nodded. "Was it all overwhelming for you?"

"Yeah. I figured they'd be against me being here but it's okay as long as I have one person on my side. That other person who was also from the stars seemed nice." She smiled as we stepped onto the rocky path with Neau leading ahead of us. "By the way, who were they? And, how far is your house?" She questioned while looking around at the different vegetations in amazement. The trees surrounding the path ranged in color, shape, and sizes just like my people did.

"The yellow one was our tribe's leader, Elgen and the one from the stars was his husband, Vaeh. My house isn't that far now." I explained as she looked up at me in confusion.

"Vaeh is Elgen's husband?" She asked as I nodded. "This really must be paradise. So, it doesn't matter who you love here? Nobody will judge you?" She added on as I looked down at her confused. She was asking me some odd questions.

"It doesn't matter who you love as long as it's not a youngling or one of the living creatures we take care of. Nobody really cares especially if it's your mate since nobody wants to go against the goddesses. Why are you asking me those weird questions? Do your people care so much about each other's relationships?" I asked as she looked up at me in amazement.

"That's amazing! Yeah, it's practically an ongoing war of who can marry whom or who can love who. It's complicated and people judge you." She explained as I frowned at that. "My sister would have loved it here. She could be happy and free." She sighed as we came upon a gate.

"I'm sure she would." I smiled while rubbing my thumb over her hand as I unlocked the gate with my free hand.