29

Oh I'm just a kid

Dani's Pov ☀︎

  It hadn't really even been 24 hours after Serena was wound in the woods. Her parents had already set up a funeral that would take place today. I don't understand how they're moving so fast with it. The service starts at 12, and it's 11:25 and all I've done is stare at myself in the mirror. I hadn't slept any since yesterday, and it was visible too. The circles under my eyes were darker than usual and seemed to be clinging to my face more.

My face had seemed it lost its color over night, as I look the most pale I have ever looked. Everything around me felt so silent. Not even the sound of the AC seemed to be on, the birds weren't chirping outside, and there was no one talking inside my home. So quiet that if you dropped a pen the world would come crashing down. But I was taken out of that silence when I heard a knock on my door. "Hey, Mom is making breakfast and we didn't know if you wanted any," Marie said standing at the crack of the door.

"Yeah I'll be down in a bit," I replied before the closed the door and I could hear the lock click back into place. I turned facing the mirror once again taking two pieces of my hair and pinning them back into a half up half down kind of look. I didn't put on much makeup besides a little concealer and some tinted chapstick. I stood up taking a look at myself in the mirror. The black dress felt all wrong, I shouldn't have had to wear this until we were in our 80s or 90s.

I pulled my gaze from the mirror turning off the light in my room before heading down the steps into the living room. I headed into the kitchen seeing my whole family sitting in dark colors and not talking. I took my seat at the table putting food onto my plate joining the rest of them. I took a few bites of my food before my mom broke the silence. "Dani Mr. and Mrs. Adams would like you to come over after the service to go through some of her things. They're trying to clean out their home before moving," she told me never really looking up.

"Moving? Do they really want to get rid of the memories of their daughter that quickly?" I asked with a slight tone of anger in my voice.

"I'm sure it's just so they don't have to constantly relive the experiences of grief over and over again by being here," she responded. "They've had their house on the market two months after she went missing. I just don't think they feel that they can live here anymore," she tried explaining to me. I didn't respond verbally, I just shook my head.

Her parents were such terrible people towards her and now they just want to leave Hawkins, just like that? I couldn't imagine if my daughter died just packing up and leaving so quickly.

The next time we spoke was when mom told us it was time to go or we would be late. We all piled into the car as she drove us to the church where the service was being held at. As soon as I stepped out of the car I saw Robin and Iris standing outside the building. I walked fast than the rest of my family so I could get over to them. Once I made it to them I grabbed both of their hands before we all entered together. My family followed close behind as we entered into the main room where the funeral would be taking place.

I saw her parents as soon as we entered. I gave them a quick hug before the three of us sat down at the front. Once her parents sat down the pastor began speaking, "Today we are here in loving memory of Serena Adams. A bright young girl who's future was ahead of her, but sadly taken way too soon. She was a daughter, a friend, a student, and an athlete. So many things to describe such a bright young women," he began and hearing was over and over again just suddenly made everything come up. It was like all the emotions I had been trying to avoid came to surface.

"I'll be back," I whispered to Robin before quietly getting up and rushing to the bathroom. Everything just felt so loud, even thought there was barely any sound. As I entered the bathroom my necklace felt as if it was almost choking me. I quickly unclasped the necklace putting down on the counter trying to get my breath to a normal space, but nothing was working. My chest has never felt so heavy almost as if a brick was on top of me just weighing me down. With no air being able to enter or exit my lungs.

I fell back onto the fall behind me going to the floor clutching my chest trying to regain my breath. The bathroom was so loud that I could hear every drop of water, the ac turning, and the service going on in the background. It's all just too much that it doesn't feel real, like I'm looking at myself outside of my body. Nothing in my mind makes any sense. Another noise came into the mix with the others when the door opened as Iris was standing in front of me. She tried talking but it was like no sound was coming out of her mouth.

She just sounded faded and that every time she moved there was so much blur around her. She reached up to my cheeks wiping away the tears under my eyes that I had even realized were there. "Dani? What's wrong?" she asked, but this time I could actually hear her.

"I feel like I'm dying," I replied barley being able to get the words out. "That sounds really fucking stupid I know," I then said hanging my head low as my heartbeat came down to a normal level.

"You're gonna be fine. You probably just had a panic attack, which is extremely normal, trust me," she told me sitting down next pulling me into a hug. "Just tell me what's going on in your head."

"None of this feels real, it shouldn't even be happening. Me and Serena were ready to join the fall semester at NYU, to live the rest of our lives as best friends, to never leave each other, god Iris we had so many plans. And now she's gone and I don't know what to even do? We're just kids for fucks sake. Why is all of this happening now? And so fast? I just don't understand," I revealed truthfully. Iris stayed quiet for a moment.

"I really wish I knew why any of this was happening, but I don't. And you're right we're just kids, we shouldn't have to worry about this. But, fuck, life's hard as hell. But we're gonna get through it, ok? Robin and me will be there for you the whole time," she told me with water eyes as she rubbed her hand on the side of my arm. "I don't know this, but I like to believe we're going to be ok," she whispered as I put my head into the crook of her neck.

"Ok," I replied and she kissed the top of my head. We sat there for a few minutes as I calmed down. We then both stood up and she clasped the necklace, from Serena, back onto my neck. We both then headed back into the main room as everyone made their way up to the empty closed coffin.

Iris and I went to the back of the line and when we got up there she leaned down whispering something I couldn't really make out.

a/n:
forehead kiss is purely platonic btw

i am so sorry it's been like a month since the last update i've just been super stressed and haven't had time to write

but i go on fall break next week so hopefully i'll have time to write more!!!

love y'all have an amazing day/afternoon/night wherever you are <33

- a