one.

"MATT LOOK OUT!"

CRASH.

that moment played over and over in matt's head. everytime he closed his eyes, all he heard were evelyn's screams the crash of metal against metal. and the worst part?

it was all his fault

he was supposed to be her protector. but while he stayed mostly uninjured, there she was: a major concussion and brain injury, a fractured wrist, and bruises all over. .

within a second after evie had yelled "look out", a white sedan came speeding towards them from the front.. matt swerved to avoid hitting it, but it was too late. the car had smashed into evelyn's side of the car. the loud crash was heard and matt's van had lost control and spun out towards the shoulder of the highway. cars stopping all around, matt ignored the throbbing pain in his shoulder and turned his attention to his girlfriend, the one he was supposed to protect, who lay unconscious in the passenger seat.

"no. no, no, no. ev." he unbuckled his seat and got out of the car, quickly running to the other side.

"hey, kid!" another driver who witnessed the accident had stopped to help. "the police are on the way. do you need an ambulance? are you hurt? are you okay?"

that was matt's least favorite question. but it seemed to be all everyone could think to ask him since the accident.

"are you okay, matt? i heard about what happened." i'm sure you did, it made the news.

"i'm so sorry, matt. are you alright?." yeah, i'm sorry too.

"you're so lucky to have survived. are you okay?" NO, I'M NOT FUCKING OKAY.

it's been three days. the love of his life has been in a coma for three days. he had been ridden with endless guilt for three days.

"matt, mom's coming to pick us up." nick said, startling matt from his thoughts. "it's almost 7, are you coming or are you staying till 10 again?"

matt hasn't left her side since the accident. he rode in the ambulance with her. he stayed with her on the other side of the window while the doctors did their diagnosis. he's been sitting on the chair at the side of her bed since she was moved to the icu. he only ever got up to use the bathroom. he hasn't eaten or drank anything besides water and granola bars that the doctors would offer him in the past three days. he's had dad drop him off on the way to work in the mornings, when visiting hours start, and he would have his mom pick him up at ten pm, the end of visiting hours. twelve hours a day was spent with her. the nights were spent tossing and turning and barely sleeping.

"i'm staying." matt replied, quietly. he didn't look up at nick. "i'm not leaving her." his voice starts to break as he stares at the unconscious girl in front of him. her skin was pale and her strawberry blonde hair looked more like a burnt orange. the girl in front of him, laying helplessly on the hospital bed wasn't his evelyn. his evie. the one person he trusted more than his brothers.

"it's not your fault, matt." nick said. "and i'm not just saying that to make you feel better. i talked to the other witnesses and they said–"

"i know how it fucking happened, nick." matt snapped. as much as he appreciated his brother trying to help, he was sick and tired of people telling him that it wasn't his fault. it was his least favorite thing people could say to him, after "are you okay?"

nick didn't look fazed by matt's outburst. he knew his brother was going through a lot, so he didn't blame him for feeling upset and angry at everything. he gave a sympathetic smile.

"i know you do." nick said. "i'll ask mom to come later. i'll stay with you today. i'll be in the waiting room if you need me." matt felt grateful but didn't show it.

"hey, nick." matt finally looked up at him before he could leave.

"yeah, matt?"

"can you— can you ask mom to bring chris? i, um..." he took a deep breath. "i need him here too."

nick smiled softly. "yeah, of course."

maha speaks :)

who else is in tears already 😃