115

Bondita had tried hard to get over the encounter with that woman. Moreover she had really tried avoiding thinking of how she looked or lacked in comparison to women of her Pati Babu's age. He wasn't a man like that. Shallow... If she thought how her body was still not that mature to attract him, it would be, in a sense, thinking low of him. Specially after how he expressed himself in the last few days before his departure. And the phone call...how could she forget...?

Kiss... He wanted to kiss her ? Her response was not apt because he asked her to forget about it but she could not. And then there was her birthday. She didn't want to celebrate because he was not there. And also because it marked the aniversary of that unfortunate night that was responsible for her baby's death. She had received a call from him that day. A long conversation of how she was not alone and how he wished he was there for her. His words were all she needed that day.

She was sixteen now but she felt as if nothing had changed and she kept on spending her days like she used to.

It was quite late at night, after dinner, when she received a call from her mother.

" Maa ! How are you ?"

" I am all right. You say. How are you ? When is Jamai Babu coming back ?"

" He will take some time more with his case."

" Oh. Don't worry much and take care of yourself, ok...?"

" Maa... You sound worried. Are you ok ?"

" I... I am ok Bondita but...Tapur..."

" Tapur ? What happened Maa ? Is she unwell ?"

" No... Actually this is what I called you for. Tapur is locked in her room. Thakuma..."

" What for ?!! Thakuma... She will never change." Bondita felt a headache rising.

" She has been punishing Tapur quite harsh these past days. Food just once a day, that too minimal...and..."

" But why ??!!"

" She found a letter in her room. From some...man..."

" What ? Why... I mean... Why would someone give her a letter, she can't read ! And...who is it ?"

" We don't know... She won't tell. It could be anyone. Someone from Krishnanagar or...Tulsipur."

" Tulsipur...?" Bondita whispered. " That...that is not possible Maa. I was with her. She never left the haveli without me and no one would dare to come in and..."

" Think Bondita. Was there... I mean..."

" I understand Maa. But no. There was no one. What was the content of the letter ?"

" Nothing...just that he would like her to come back and that would miss her."

" What ?!!" Bondita's eyes were popped.

" Yes. There is no date so it could be before she went there or in Tulsipur itself. But...she refuses to tell the name. Poor girl is scared. Thakuma is not happy. She is whipped every day or so. Her hands and feet are covered in blisters. Maybe if we get a name, this would stop."

" Maa..." Bondita had tears in her eyes just by hearing all this. Her poor sister. Bondita once again was reminded of how fortunate she was to have come to this house. A child bride in this house was much better that being a daughter in her mayaka. " I will try to...to find out here but I am sure she was not meeting anyone out of this haveli..."

" And inside...?"

" Maa..." Bondita whispered in horror at the implication.

" I .. I am just saying..." Sumati stuttered. " It is just... Chhote Zamindar Babu... Is... maybe..."