𖥻 chapter twenty six

"you slept with your best friend?!"

꒰🏁꒱

"attention, please! the race will start in ten minutes, so buckle up & get ready to cheer the loudest for our racers!"

ava stands up from just having wiped the hood of her car, scratching off the tiny dirt she spotted. cheerful screams and loud noises coming from the cars fill the place, after three months of no action in the gumball arenas.

it's september twelve and the event is finally back, welcoming the fourteen contestants with loud cheers from the overly crowded bleachers ─ with this being the third last race, it was very much expected.

"heyyy!" jungwon pops up behind her out of the blue, all too rudely dragging her out of her thoughts. "how are we feeling~? ready to smash it?" he says in a joyful tone and punches the air.

"yayy~" ava feigns excitement, fisting her hands & shaking them a little. the boy's brows raise in surprise and his thin lips draw in a line, observing the place one round before he comes to stand beside her.

"what happened? did racing grow out of you? i know you are the type to not have a specific hobby & dropping out after a while but... this is your career now." he explains in a serious & deep tone, causing ava to cringe. "gee stop."

"serious talks are not for you. and no, it's not that." she crosses her arms and leans back on her car. "racing is & will forever be my biggest passion."

"so?" jungwon shrugs. "what's it that got you so moody? you're usually a lot more excited when a race comes up."

"you know ava, aside from a member of your crew, i'm also your friend. you can open up to me, if you feel like it'll help you both mentally & physically. it'd be good to let go of all the negative energy and thoughts before the race."

ava thinks for a while, throwing the used wet napkin on the ground and turning her body so that it faces him. "oh well, you asked for it." she starts and jungwon takes a step back, taken aback by her absurdity.

"apparently, our "ace in wheels" has a crush on me & a way for him to deal with it was to bully the living wits of me and drop my self-esteem, but then all of a sudden he realized how it was wrong to treat me like this so he tried to be better for me & that day you left me with my "broke skoda bestie" was the day everything went south and in the middle of a breakdown i spat out everything my dad has done to me & then we stayed on that crusty as fuck motel & we did it, and when we came back the next day i got to know that he's been hooking-up with katana, but he gave up on katana because he then realized that he has a crush on me but then i fucked with my best friend, and two months later he came to ask why the fuck i did it and confessed."