Chapter 21: Chief Sloan

Season 8, Episode 19

Angela groans as she hears rustling of clothes in the drawers. Looking up, she sees Mark frantically going through the clothes, "Babe, it's-" she looks at the clock, "Four in the morning. Why are you up? Shift doesn't start until eight, come back to bed."

Mark shakes his head, "Hunt and Yang are out today. He asked me to be chief. Which tie do you prefer," he holds the options to his chest, "Blue or brown?"

"Ask me again in three hours. I'm going back to bed."

She moves a pillow so it's covering her head as Mark continues to mutter to himself about tie choices and something called Beef with the Chief.

♤♤♤♤

Sitting in the conference room, Angela sips her coffee and watches Avery handout papers to the attending's. Bailey takes one and reads, "Excellence is not an act, but a habit, Aristotle. Avery, what is Aristotle doing in our staff meeting, and why are you even here handing these out?"

"You mean when I could be practicing medicine or studying for my boards? Yeah, I've asked myself that same question."

"C'mon, Avery. This can't be the worse thing you've ever done. I mean, meetings are par for the core as an Avery," Angela teases him. 

"I blame your boyfriend for this," Avery tells her.

"This is delicious," Arizona interrupts, eating one of the doughnut's on the table, "When did Hunt bump up the doughnut budget?"

Angela smirks as Mark makes his grand entrance, "As chief, I'm a firm believer that a nice variety of baked goods is the right way to start any meeting."

He takes a seat at the head of the table with a nice suit on and a Bluetooth ear piece in his ear.

"As chief?"

"What are you talking about?"

Snorting, Angela nods, "You see, you try finding that news out at four in the morning. I thought I woke up in an alternate reality."

The other attending's start to throw question after question at Mark as he grabs a doughnut and Avery stands behind him, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, everyone. Calm down. Dr. Hunt and Dr. Yang are down with the flu. I'll be acting chief in Dr. Hunt's absence. Could be a day. Could be a week. What do we got for today?"

"Let me get this straight," Bailey throws down the paper, "Dr. Hunt asked you to fill in as chief. You, Mark Sloan, by name?"

"Yes he did. Any other questions?"

♤♤♤♤

Walking past a nurses desk, she hears Alex calling for her, "Angie! Hey, I know you can hear me. Come here."

Angela glares at him as Avery, Kepner and Meredith try to hide laughs, "You know you're a resident and I could easily bench you for talking to me like that."

"Cool, more time to study. Speaking of studying, how did you pass your boards? I remember you had a study method but I can't remember that method now," Alex waves off her warning, flipping through charts and flashcards.

"Start with specialty. Study it for a day, then move on to the next one, then mix up those two specialties. Then start a new one, add that one into the other and keep going until you've hit all the checks and find a study buddy that puts in the effort. Also, make sure to really study cases you've been on so you know what experience you can draw from."

Kepner writes all of that down, nodding as if she just gave her the answers to the board, "Thank you, so, so much Dr. Karev. You are a genius!"

Nodding, Angela moves to go check on a patient before turning around, "Oh, Avery, Mark was looking for you. Something about wanting to go over the schedule."