24. "Where's Elena?"

Chapter Twenty Four

Adonis' POV

I checked the time on the wall clock, half past twelve, and Elena was not home yet. I was pacing inside my bedroom, back and forth very impatiently, then I looked outside the window from time to time.

This can't go on. I'll go crazy staring at the clock tick every second, waiting for her.

Dammit! I should stop waiting and go to bed. I have a very early meeting tomorrow morning with the engineers at the project site. I can't go there, roaming around until the heat of the sun, and tired due to lack of sleep.

I decided to go to bed, slipping under the sheets then clapping twice to turn off the lights. I closed my eyes, trying to sleep, but the images of Elena lingered in my head.

What if something happened to her?

Disturbing pictures of her walking in the dark with men chasing after her. Or running out of gas in a secluded dark street.

Fuck! I can't fool myself anymore.

I got out of bed abruptly and stormed out of the room, heading downstairs. I called Hugo, right away.

"Did Elena already arrive?"

"Hmm... for a while sir," Hugo sounded like he just got out of bed. There was a pause, then he was back, "not yet, sir."

"Did you check her car if it has gas?"

Her car, my old white Mercedes Convertible she insisted of using instead of letting me buy her a new one.

"We did, sir. It's full tank."

"Dammit. Where the hell is she?"

"With her best friend, sir. Miss Camella." Hugo answered for me.

"I know, I know. But it's almost one," I checked the time again. "I should have accompanied her with bodyguards."

"No, she won't like that, sir. You promised to her. She hates being followed."

"I know," I cursed myself. I should have insisted. I would not forgive myself if something happened to her.

The urge to protect her and be with her was so strong. Lately, I had been planning to have adventures with her outside the country. I would love to show her many places - dine in my favorite restaurant in Paris, eat sticky rice in Thailand, walk at Shibuya Crossing in Japan, drink strong Barako coffee in the Philippines, climb to the Great Wall of China and many more.

"Why don't you call her now, sir? So you can go to bed without worrying."

"I can't. She would think that I'm so damn possessive. I trust her and I want her to enjoy with her friend."

"Then you should stop worrying. I'm sure she's safe having fun with Miss Camella."

"Where do you think they would go?"

"Hmm... most probably dinner." Hugo sounded bored.

"I know, I know. I mean afterwards."

"They could be hanging out in the bar. Doing singles stuff, you know... the usual things you see girls doing in the bar. Drinking... dancing..."

"Fuck," I raked my hair, feeling very frustrated. The thought of Elena approached by strangers in the bar really upset me, "I'll call her now. Or better yet, wait till one?"

"I agree. You should wait...," he paused, then continued, "I think she's already here sir. She's approaching the gates."

I looked outside the window, and there I saw a white Mercedes entered the gates. Hugo confirmed that Elena was okay and looking good. She was not drunk, in distress or anything.

I finally went to bed and slept peacefully.

Elena's POV

I woke up to the glaring sunlight blinding my eyes. Darn it. I forgot to pull the curtains in last night.

I got up lazily, then took a quick shower. I went down for breakfast, disappointed that Adonis already left very early. He mentioned yesterday that he would go visit the business center project site.

In the morning, I was running from the production to the marketing team, and skipping lunch just to talk to a stubborn supplier of garments at the outskirts of the city. Afterwards, I went to see Mom at the Cancer Rehabilitation Center. It was a private center managed by religious sectors. Grandpa was one of their contributors, giving donations to keep it operational.

"I wonder, when can I meet Adonis," mom asked.

Every time I visited her, she would ask the same question. Even though she knew the answer already. Grandpa would not allow her to meet Adonis or any of the Stavrakos yet.

"Soon, mom, when you're fully recovered," I pushed her wheelchair to the garden.

She nodded, then touched her head, which was covered with a scarf, "or maybe when my hair grows, your grandpa will allow me then."

"Most probably," I knelt in front of her and touched her hand, caressing it gently, "Adonis wants to meet you too. He always asked about you."

"He's a nice guy," she clasped my hand between hers, "and it's sad that you have to lie to him."

I nodded, pressing my lips together.

"I'm sure you told him what Papa instructed you to say. That I was in Paris, Singapore or Dubai, shopping."

I nodded again, and she said sadly, "I wish."

"You have a crazy father. I'm glad that you're not like him," I chuckled and put my head on her lap.

"So, how's your relationship with Adonis?" she said, running her fingers through my hair.

"Very friendly."

"That's good. I was very worried at first, but I'm glad now that your arranged marriage is turning out right," she looked very happy, and that's the second thing that mattered to me, aside from her health, "I'm sure there will be little Elena and Adonis very soon."

I looked at her, shaking my head.

"No, Mom. Adonis and I are not going there. We have a plan, right? For just the two of us, together. A small house, with vegetable garden and dogs..."

"Adonis is a good husband to you, and soon, a great father to your kids. Work on your relationship with him. Give it a chance."

"No, we're sticking to our original plan..."

She sighed heavily, "I want us to be together. But I also wish... to be with Papa."

"Mom!"