Chapter 8 - Motherly Love

Chapter 8 -  Motherly Love

Chapter 8 - Motherly Love

Water dripped from his face, blood oozed out of his body, his consciousness faded in and out, and his will was destroyed.

This is the current state of Natsuki Subaru.

"Orphe..." His name echoed throughout Subaru's mind as his body suffered. Waterboarding, cutting, punches, burning, and all the other torture methods Subaru could think of. They all happened to him.

It's been 3 days since he's been stuck in this damn chair. He remembered everything that happened in detail. Every word that monster spoke, he'll remember forever. Subaru Natsuki never forgets.

Even with all of his effort, Subaru st..ill fade..d in and o.ut of c..onsciousn..ess...

-Flashback-

"I never would've guessed you'd be a witch cultist brother. Russell will be pleased, another fool destroyed by the hands of the Six Tongues." Orphe gave Subaru a thumbs up. "It seems our client was right to add those wristbands." His face burst into a smile as he saw Subaru's sorrowful state.

Client? Witch Cultist? Russell? Who were those people? All of their names were foreign to Subaru. It was a puzzle he could crack... given the correct circumstances. The shine of the steel waiting to be used on the table next to him, or the dreadful smell that lingered in the air. Nothing here was correct, nothing here even felt alive.

-Flashback End-

"Ah," Subaru muttered, barely audible to his own ears. He could never get much rest, sleep was off the table, but his fading consciousness was the only thing that allowed him to get even a sliver of rest.

Felt... She has once again died in this loop. He didn't know when she was struck, and how she was controlled, but he knew one thing for sure, she was no more. He didn't know if his next checkpoint would even allow him to save her. Hell, he didn't even know if he'd have a next time when he died. Return by death is an ability that was never explained to him, so you can't blame a man for guessing.

"I wonder where you went, Scarlet." He would've believed them to be dead if he couldn't feel the faint, but miraculously still working contract between him, and Scarlet.

"What am I doing with myself? I can't die, I can't even save everyone. Felt died to my ignorance, the knights died to my spell, and my spirit is nowhere to be found. The spirit that carried me this far. I wish I would've been a better contractor. I'm pathetic aren't I? Wishing to have been better now that it's too late... but it's true, I only ever used it when I needed something. It helped me many times before, but I could never understand it without the help of another. I can't save anyone, not even a little spirit

-Flashback-

"Hmmm, I didn't know Witch Cultists could use spirits! I'm glad our client didn't let us kill you brother. I would've missed out on a ton of information, don't you think?" Orphe said, energic as ever. He wouldn't stop asking questions. Every smile was meant to elicit a response, and then he used that response to ask more questions. It was a never-ending spiral.