Chapter 20

Back to my bedroom in my bathrobe after taking a bath, I grab my phone on the comfy chair which faces my bed beneath the corner of my room, near the window. I used that moment to close my window to stop me from viewing the light coming from the next house.

My dream house is a place to wake up every morning to a beautiful lake or sea crest.

Here is an estate with mansions facing each other despite being on the island.

From there, I veer to grab an apple in a bowl placed on my desk, then I begin to check my WhatsApp messages.

My day started with the stress of attending two classes, following the fun I had with Karen, and ended with sadness with dad that I couldn't even eat dinner. What else can I say?

Unread messages from mom, Scott, and some of my folks are above Karen's but I choose to open her chat first. I can see she is online.

I hope you have gotten home.

I smile slightly at that and I take a bite from my apple, then continue to read her next chat.

And thanks for taking my power bank with you.

Oh shit! I mutter to myself. I can't remember taking it with me. I quickly reach for my cross bag and unzip it to see her power bank among my stuff.

Our conversations made me forget to return it to her while I was in a hurry when Chidi arrived to pick me up.

I laugh a little at myself and I lay flat on my stomach on my bed, before typing to reply to her.

I'm deeply sorry about that.

She begins to type immediately the two marks read blue.

Well, you are just making me want to charge at my neighbor's place.

Geez! I will charge the power bank here so that you can have it fully charged when you arrive here tomorrow morning.

Arrive there?

Of course. I'm sure the HM will email you as soon as possible

So you are serious about this?

Yeah, We are all expecting you tomorrow, Maria will be happy to have you back

Only Maria?

I scoff as she continues typing. What does she mean by that?

I'm turning down the offer. Thanks.

What the hell! The more I wanna fix things for her the more it's complicated. Do I have to beg her now to take back the job, despite hitting me? Though I also did worse by adding salt to the soup she prepared.

I sit up, holding a pillow on my lap.

Trying to think straight made me want to do a video call with her. I dial her number and in the next minutes, she picks up.

Where she is, is somehow dark but I can see she is not at home, with her phone camera changing direction indicating she is strolling around in her brown tank top while a warmer is worn on her head.

"Where are you?" I ask her.

"On my way to my neighbor's house," She answers, showing me her charger.

"Oh! so sorry," I react and she nods okay.