05. And He Cried

I could barely function when I sat down at my seat in Mrs. Parker's class.

I sat in my assigned seat and got out my supplies, waiting for Shawn. Second period started at 9:30, and it's already 9:29, and he was still not there. I sighed and leaned back, assuming that he was absent today. I frowned as I tossed my pen onto the desk, and the bell rang.

A millisecond before the bell rang, though, Shawn entered the classroom, his face red and his eyes puffy, as if he'd just cried an entire river. I sat up immediately, and he came around me and into his seat beside me.

I watched as he scooted into his seat, resting his elbows on the table with his hands on his temples, his jaw clenched. He didn't look at me. I think he was embarrassed at his crying. At least, that's what it looked like.

"That was a close one, Mr. Mendes. Try to be more on time next time. Alright?" Mrs. Parker explained, and it made me slightly upset that
she didn't ask why he looked so sad. You would think a teacher would notice since they work with teenagers all the time and more than likely have seen it all, but nope.

Shawn wiped his eyes and sniffled, crossing his arms and swallowing hard, then looking up at Mrs. Parker as she began to teach. I should've been paying attention, but I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

"So today we will be continuing our text structure writing, and it will be due tomorrow. The rules from yesterday apply. Begin." And the class got loud as everyone talked to their partners, so I took the chance and turned to the melancholy Shawn.

"Shawn, are you okay? Have you been crying?" I said, swiveling my body towards him. I really was concerned, I didn't like to see anyone (especially someone I'm attracted to) sad.

He blinked really fast and wiped his face again, turning his head to me and looking at me, finally.

Shawn cleared his throat. "I'm fine, it's just... it's just allergies." he lied and forced a smile, but behind it you could see his dolefulness.

"Shawn don't lie to me, please tell me what's wrong. I can't stand to see you like this." I said in a sweet tone, showing a look of sympathy.

He looked back down. "Really, I'm fine, Olivia. Don't worry." he retorted, raising his voice some.

"Sorry," I said really quietly, turning back to my desk and working on my writing. He shook his head, and then we didn't talk for the rest of the period.

We walked to math class together though, and it was weird because we didn't say anything to each other, we just walked. But then we went our separate ways to our assigned place in the class.

+ + +

I got my lunch (my meal containing: chicken with mashed potatoes and the same off-brand Gatorade) and headed to the empty table I sat at yesterday. I couldn't find Shawn again so I just shrugged it off and ate because I was hungry, and then Leah showed up.

She waved at me and came over to the table, sitting. "Hi Olivia! I didn't know we had the same lunch period. This is great." she cheered.

"Yea," I laughed.

"Are you liking the school?"

"I guess, I mean, I don't really know anyone but--"

She gasped,"I can help you with that! I know a lot of things about a lot of people. Just ask me."

I chuckled,"Okay, um..." Shawn Popped into my head again. "What do you know about Shawn Mendes?"

She gave me a sly look and nodded, swallowing a bite of her food. "Ohh, I see. You're interested. Well, sorry to break it to you, sister, but he's taken. It's this girl that graduated last year here. Her name is Evelyn Robinson. I think they're still together, they've been together for over a year."

My stomach sunk. Maybe that was the reason he was crying. I felt horrible, and I didn't even know why.

"Oh."

She continued,"Anyway, Shawn's a sweetheart. Seriously, any girl would be lucky to have him. He is also into music. He sings and plays the guitar. But, yea, he's unavailable at the moment, as far as I'm informed."

I nod, becoming more attracted to him by the thought of him in music, though my mind still stuck on the last thing she said. "Wait, what does Evelyn look like?" I asked, curious.

"Well she's got blonde hair and-- you know what, let me just show you a picture." Leah pulled her phone out of her pocket and typed something in, pulling up a photo and showing me her phone.

It was an Instagram picture of a girl. She was sitting on a curb, Her long, wavy, yellow hair hung to just above her butt. Her blazing blue eyes stared intensely into the camera, her white v-neck showing much more than a hint of cleavage, and she was wearing jeans.

"She's kind of a slut, but that's Evelyn." Leah explained, and I looked away from the screen. Wow, if that's what Shawn looks for in a girl, then I'm screwed.

"Does Shawn typically fall for those types of girls?" I asked, curious.

"Olivia, that was his first girlfriend." she said. I nodded, finishing up my meal.

"How serious are they?" I questioned.

"I'm not a part of the relationship, so I don't really know how far they've gotten, if you know what I mean, but from what I've seen, pretty serious. They used to make out on the front steps of the school last year before she graduated, and I've seen them around town holding hands but that's it."

I actually thought I had a chance with this kid, but obviously not. He had a girlfriend, and a beautiful one at that. I was definitely not as pretty as her, and never will be. I almost thought that I was falling for Shawn, and hard. I still can't get my mind off of Evelyn, though, and their relationship. I wonder what her personality is like.

"Is she nice?"

"Olivia! Enough with the questions!" Leah laughed, but then answered,"But not really. She's kind of... bitchy. But she really swept Shawn off of his feet, so that's why they're together. She's different around different people. Kinda fake."

Shawn doesn't deserve that.

The rest of lunch was filled with small-talk until the bell rang and we all filed out of the cafeteria to our classes. I still didn't know where Shawn was, though.

- - -
(A/N) 5/9/10

1: happy birthday manny magic! hahah
2: i just got to the movie theater and the the movie was supposed to start at 6:45 but nO it's starts at 9:45 im not waiting for this shit and tbh i really just wanted the food ugh

- sophia