Day 12: Moods & Madness

D a w n :

I woke up next to Daryll, his arm was draped over my midriff and he was fast asleep, snoring louder than usual.

Slowly, I took his hand off of me, resting it on the bed as I got out.

It was extremely hot that night and he was sweating on the sheets and on me, I could tell that he was having nightmares. But things seemed to cool down after he got up in the middle of the night and had some water.

He was still extremely warm, but he seemed calmer.

I looked at him before leaving the room; there was that dreadful crease etched into his eyebrows and it made me feel sad, because it was only there when he was upset.

When he smiled, his whole face lit up, his skin stretching and barely succeeding in encompassing his large smile.

I gave him a kiss on the forehead and the crease in between his eyebrows went away as he rolled over. A small smile found its way to my face and I left the room, not wanting to wake him up.

I entered the master bedroom and it was empty, but I could hear the water running in the bathroom.

I went to the closet, picking out my clothes for the day and laying them out on the bed. I changed into a towel as I heard the water stop running, I definitely needed a shower before work or even seeing people.

It was just one of those times when all I wanted was to be alone because what I really wanted, which was to make things better for Daryll, was not possible.

I felt arms wrap around me from behind and Lane's smell consumed me as his lips pressed softly on my neck.

And I didn't want him to leave.

"Hey." He whispered, his breath tickling my neck as he did so.

I held his hands in mine, still wrapped around me. "Hey."

"Is Daryll awake?"

I shook my head.

"Understandable."

He took a deep breath, squeezing me tighter in a brief, but much needed hug.

"I missed you last night." I said, immediately feeling bad about it, but it was true. I did miss Lane, and I couldn't help that.

His presence is always somewhat comforting to me, and he knows the right things to say in almost every situation.

I'm glad that I was there for Daryll, but I also know that I can't provide him with everything he needs, eventually he'll have to go see a therapist, or find some way to cope, but I won't be enough.

As much as I want to be, I won't.

Lane is enough for me though.

He really is.

We stood there his arms around me, and I thought about how in two days, things may go back to the way they were before.

The two of us friends in passing, but never really talking to each other. All that time spent together being discarded once we don't live together anymore.

I wanted more than just to be friends in passing after the project was over, but I had other things to think about as well. I had things in my life that Lane couldn't possibly understand.

My life was much more complicated than a two-week project, and I'm not sure if Lane would be able to handle everything else that comes with Dawn Caparelli.