Morning Daze

The sun warmed her skin as she ran her laps in the pool over and over until she halted. Her hair was protected by a swimmer's cap and her skin felt like it was drenched in chemicals. Pools were great for relieving stress but there was so much to do to enter and exit the pool.

She got out, grabbed a towel, and checked her skin. It felt pruny but this shower would on force the skin to soften. Her body wash made sure she wouldn't have dry, cracking skin.

Keyla was busy watching cartoons and eating cereal as it was only 8am in the morning. This was usually a two hour period before either of them was fully awake. But Shawn was due in the studio at 4 o'clock.

'You got a call from Miss Ava, Shaw.' Keyla pointed to the sticky on the fridge. That's how they took messages. It was a great system. 'Okay, I'll call her when I get out of the shower. Can you call Cookie? Tell her I may run late because of the dress shop opening.' Shawn said as she grabbed a fresh towel to shower with.

The new dress shop was a boutique in the city's main street. It's called Summer Love, dedicated to young teens and parents who can't afford clothing. Shawn had the idea when she was younger, but her mother had brought it to life with the help of two old friends.

Shawn wasn't the owner but she was a partner. She had been grateful to get the call as soon as she made the plans to move here to be closer to her family and kick start her career. Keyla had already thought up some great ideas for the formal format of the boutique's set up.

'Keyla, what are you doing?' Shawn asked as she stood in her robe and a towel firmly wrapped around her hair.

Keyla's face turned a soft shade of red as she pointed to the woman sitting on their couch. It was Ava Darci, her parents' accountant, with a huge manila envelope. This could only be serious.

'Any particular reason that you showed up out of the blue? Did my mother send you?' Shawn quirked a brow as she watched the woman shift under her gaze. 'Or did your godson send you?' Miss Darci looked slightly offended.

Shawn sat down as she prepared for whatever she was about to hear. Keyla looked between the two as if a tennis match was about to start.

'First, I'd like to congratulate you on your new home... I didn't come here for Eric although he continues to speak of all the great things about you. My message to you is to watch your back and never trust anyone standing in the corners.' Miss Darci's message was cryptic but when she placed the manila envelope in front of her, it shed some light on everything.

'God doesn't like ugly.'

Shawn slipped the photos out of the envelope and gathered them up. A collage of photos that were heart wrenching at best. Not only was Anika playing her father, but she had been building and breaking blocks.

'How did you find this out?' Shawn wondered with shock at each revealing image. The true Anika came forth. She barely knew the woman but this spoke so much about her character. 'Let's just say a little birdy told me where to start on the search for truths.'

--

Cookie could see how social media was a great place to broadcast events and stuff. She had just scheduled an audition to back up dancers that Shawn would need when she got her stage act together. They were eager and excited to answer back.

'Porsha, isn't that Christian? And... Jamal?!' Cookie almost smacked the phone out of Porsha's hand as the stupid girl took a picture of it. As if it wasn't enough that they were cheating on two people who loved them. But maybe it was for the best.

--

Jamal's lips were taking and giving everything they were receiving. He had made sure to be discreet about the location as there could be paparazzi anywhere. The kiss was unintentional but there was something about a forbidden temptation that made his push forward.

Maybe Shawn wouldn't kill the both of them, besides they were just kissing. Not like they were having sexual intercourse. Well, they thought about it.

When he broke the kiss, he stared into Christian's eyes. Only to find the emotional rollercoaster of a man who was not yet out. Christian was confused, giddy, reluctant, guilty, and remorseful. He had just kissed his girlfriend's brother.

Jamal could understand everything he was feeling, but you don't choose who you fall in love with.

--

'Look at what Porsha posted... Two guys kissing. Damn that's hot!' Keyla giggled as she showed her best friend the photo.

Shawn was ready for a laugh until she recognized her boyfriend's tattoo on his neck. The worst thing wasn't him kissing a guy. It was the fact that the guy was her brother. Come on, she wasn't stupid. She had seen the look the two had shared. Two and two together meant nothing nice for her.

Still she was pissed off.