Chapter 54

I listen to the last words leaving his lips and feel shocked

I listen to the last words leaving his lips and feel shocked. My lips are parted and I'm filled with disbelief.

Ares has only hugged me tighter towards him and when he's done, he brushes his lips over my cheeks.

"Remember that day when Maya got angry with you? When you saw us arguing... that was when I told her it was you I cheated with. She lost her mind for that reason and resented you for it, even though it's all my fault."

"I remember the night I went to a party with Violet and another friend of ours," I whisper and feel Ares tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"But I got so drunk, I blacked out and didn't remember anything from that evening," I continue and frown, wishing that I could remember a glimpse of what happened that night. "It was the first time I got drunk, and I promised myself I'd never let it get that far again. It scared me."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," Ares murmurs. "I... I didn't notice anything when we talked. You seemed sober enough and conscious of everything you were doing, I wouldn't have kissed you if you hadn't."

"Violet has told me that after I came back from isolating myself, I got wasted. Before, I'd only had a glass of vodka."

"I'm sorry for the way I treated you. I was so fucking angry at myself and projected it on the wrong person, which I hate myself for. You didn't deserve that."

"I hate Maya for comparing you to your father," I bring out and swallow back the tears, "you didn't deserve to hear that. I shouldn't have asked you to kiss me, and..."

"It's not your fault," Ares interrupts, "I kissed you, knowingly. I have the responsibility of cheating on Maya. None of that is your fault, you couldn't have known."

Silence lingers between us as I take in what he just told me.

The roof is empty except for us, and we're sitting around the corner of the door, hidden.

"I still can't believe you saw me first," I whisper, "and that it wasn't even at the college party. How could I have missed you those first two times?"

"You were in your own world," Ares answers. "Seeing you up close the third time nearly killed me. It couldn't be a coincidence anymore."

I wish I could visualize it. I wish I could watch him watch me, and read his thoughts upon seeing me for the first time.

All this time, I thought I was the one who'd developed this infatuation. I thought that I'd just been some random girl to Ares.

While I couldn't have been more wrong.

What bothers me, is that I don't remember a single thing from the first night we talked. The first kiss we shared in the elevator wasn't even our first kiss.