0 ~ Prologue

Limerence.

That's what Floyd felt about Yuu.

When he first met her, he figured she'd be boring, just like everyone else. But lo and behold, she proved him wrong—she was much more entertaining to be around than the other small fry at school.

It all started when she ran around Night Raven College with Grim, fighting against insanely powerful overblotted students despite not having any magic power herself. At first, Floyd laughed it off as stupidity, and yet she succeeded every time. That was enough to pique Floyd's interest.

It would be easy enough to pin it on everyone else's efforts, but she was the only constant; the only one that was there for every single one of the overblots. Yuu must've had some sort of hidden strength that helped someone as weak as her win, and Floyd started to gain interest in what that was.

So he began with the direct approach—striking up a conversation. He had ditched his History of Magic class to find her. If he was remembering correctly, she was in Crabby's class, and they would be in Potionology.

Naturally, she was cautious of him. Their interactions in the past hadn't been exactly amicable, but Floyd was determined to fix that. He would convince her to trust him, to think of him as a friend. Then he would find out what made her so special.

And then it hit Floyd.

Yuu didn't have any special powers; she was a completely ordinary human. Yet she was so stupidly nice. She would charge into battle without regard for her own safety and later talk things through with the person, finding out what distressed them. It seemed so simple, but their campus lacked kindness, so Yuu's existence was all the more impactful.

She was pretty cute, a thought that squirreled its way into Floyd's mind as he hung around her more often. The way her expression seemed to light up when he saw him was a treat, especially recalling the way she used to look at him. Being around her, making her smile, became an addiction to Floyd.

He only grew more and more infatuated with her. Everything she did was just so perfect. She had no flaws, from what Floyd could see. How could he not fall for someone like that?

And fall he did.

As he cleaned the blood from his white gloves, he reminded himself that this was all to keep his adorable, sweet, perfect shrimp flawless. No one would be able to ruin her, to taint her as long as he protected her.

Even as he dragged her unconscious body off campus and into the middle of nowhere, he reassured himself that she would still be the same, perfect Lil' Shrimpy he'd been striving to protect this whole time. She'd been doing so great after all.

And now, at long last, it would finally be just the two of them.