Fifty-Four

Leah

"Wow, I didn't know how much I needed this." Kayla said taking a sip of her piping hot coffee. "Why do I always do this to myself?" She was referring to last night and the many many glasses of champagne.

I laughed at her and took a sip of my own drink, a hot caramel mocha latte. It was a beautiful cool November day. Not a cloud in the sky, just sunshine. A day like this called for a trip to our local coffee shop.

And after last night, we needed it.

She took a bite of her chocolate croissant and I swore her eyes practically rolled to the back of her head. "I love this time of year. Everything just taste better."

"Definitely." I answered vaguely, my mind was somewhere else. After the many events of last night, I didn't know what to think or what to do. I looked outside the window to see people walking around, enjoying the weather and shopping. People watching is something we all do naturally. So, don't judge me.

"So, tell me." Kayla said with a mouthful of croissant.

"Mhm." I hummed with my eyes still trained outside lost in my thoughts. I swear people wear the weirdest things. Small amount of judgement on my end, I know I shouldn't. But hey, if it makes you happy and confident, you do you.

"Where did you and Jace disappear to last night?" She asked. "You guys were gone for quite a bit."

I turned my attention back to her. "Nowhere." I answered her simply.

She arched a brow, not believing me.

"We just went outside to get some air." I said adding context to the lie. She doesn't know anything about what is going. As much as I want to tell my best friend, I want her to be safe and the best way was to keep her out. "You know how stuffy it can get in there."

Kayla smiled knowingly. "Leah, how long are you going to do this?"

"Do what?" I asked completely unaware of what she is referring to. I took a bite of the warm pumpkin bread from my plate. Gosh, I waited all year for this thing and did I savor it.

"Lee, I've been your friend for a long time now and you can say I know you like the back of my hand. So, trust me when I say this. Stop trying to deny your feelings for Jace. Anyone with eyes can see that you like him." She said in one breathe before taking another gulp of coffee.

"I know." I told her stirring my drink slowly. I wasn't denying it anymore. It's there, it's evident. I do like Jace and it wasn't going away. If anything it kept growing with each moment we are around each other.

And last night? That made it definitive.

"Wow. No arguing? Or living in denial?" She inquired.

I shook my head. "What's the point?"

"Are you going to tell him?" She asked genuinely.

"Um. Jace has a lot going on right now. I don't think he needs to worry about my feelings at this moment." I explained.

"Lee." Her eyes were filled with concern. She always wants the best for me. She was a true friend who cared for my happiness.