Chapter 1: Prologue (1)

People say, "History repeats itself."

Yet they also say, "Karma will strike back."

If spent a few minutes thinking, one would realise those two statements contradict each other.

How is Karma supposed to strike back if History is to repeat itself? Would the bad guy who won ten years ago win again in a rematch?

Enrique Nova had an answer to that.

Karma. It always strikes back.

As he was tied against a chair, wearing his suit that was more expensive than most people's annual salaries, Enrique couldn't help but look back at one mistake he made.

He was born an orphan, yet even though he was just in his early 30s, he had managed to make himself an international businessman. To reach this status, however, Enrique had to dirty his hands at a very early age.

Blackmails, ordering the murder, ruining his rivals' families to destroy their business, so on and so forth. Enrique has committed most of the big crimes known to man, yet nobody had any evidence of his bloody hands.

Because he was cautious. Very cautious. He planned his every move and made counter plans for any possible mishap. That's how he was able to rise so rapidly into the world of wealth. However, that didn't mean he had no enemy.

Such is his abductor, a boy who was barely an adult. Yet, he managed to scare Enrique as he laid down his blades and torture equipment on the ground, one by one.

"Don't you think it's funny, uncle Enrique?" The boy said, and even his voice wasn't that deep yet. "If you had just killed me that day, just like what you did with my father and mother, you wouldn't have been in this position today."

Enrique would admit the boy had a point. The boy's father, once Enrique's business partner, was killed by a hitman that was hired by Enrique. Because, if that man died, it was all Enrique who would benefit.

But his wife thought she could handle his business, that woman. She decided to try replacing her husband for a few weeks, causing much loss for the company, but Enrique couldn't just kill her since that'd make him a prime suspect right away.

So he broke her.

He broke her mind, made her obsessed with him, and later on made her transfer all of her shares to him. After that, he kept her around for three months, before he disposed of her. However, that day 8 years ago, he made the mistake of letting her 10-year-old son live.

As it turned out, he still wasn't a monster. Something that brought his downfall. But he couldn't kill that child who he had a not-so-bad relationship with. He rather put him in an orphanage and kept eyes on him to make sure he never learns of his parents' fate.

Unfortunately, the boy did.

And today, he was here for revenge.

A foolish mistake on Enrique's part, like those classic villains.

"You didn't stop at just killing my dad, but you just had to fuck my mom too, didn't you? Did you know how obsessed she was with you?" The boy asked while sharpening a razor. "Funny isn't it."

It wasn't funny. Strictly speaking, it was just business as usual. She wasn't the first to whom he did something like that, nor was she the last. He liked women a lot, true, but this in particular was because of business.

Enrique chuckled. "Kid, what makes you think I did something of that sort? Why would I ever take care of you, give money for your studies, and even help you get into a top college?"