i.

( chapter )one

( chapter )
one

JULIET DAWSON FELT LIKE A fool.

There she was, sitting in what was once her favourite restaurant but one that she didn't think she could return to due to the embarrassment; sitting in an orange slip dress that was way too expensive for what it was, but she had saved up for weeks; sitting with a glass of lukewarm water in-front of her, the ice cubes that had one rested in it melted; sitting in front of a candle that was slowly reaching the end of its wick; sitting with her head resting in the palm of her hand as she took another bite of the complementary bread that a waiter had brought hours ago.

There she was, sitting and staring at the seat that remained empty opposite her — as if that would magically make the person who was meant to be in the chair appear.

Juliet Dawson felt like an idiot.

Two hours she had been sat there alone at a table placed for two. Two hours she had waited as the waiters of the restaurant sent her pitiful looks while they went to every table but hers. Two hours she had waited for her boyfriend to show up, a small piece inside of her hoping every-time the door opened that it would be him.

But it never was.

And while she was in love, Juliet knew what she didn't deserve this.

Hours she had lost waiting for her boyfriend to arrive; several angel numbers she had wasted a wish upon, hoping that he would soon appear in her eyesight with his usual boyish grin on his face; days she had waited for a letter, a reply, a sign that he still loved her — even if it was only a little bit.

All that time wasted.

Juliet had finally had enough, this was the last straw. She wasn't going to waste her life waiting for a boy who clearly wouldn't do the same for her.

・・・☽✥☾・・・

Juliet knocked loudly on the front door of the Potter Cottage — a cottage made from large stones, with ivy growing in between the aged cracks in the walls. Its thatched roof that was very slowly falling apart, random bits of straw hanging off at weird angles but none of them ever fell. The windows and the worn down curtains that blocked whatever was inside from view. It looked like something out of a fairytale, even more so than usual with the sun setting behind the chimney that stood tall on the room, a steady flow of steam emerging from it and blending into the dark sky, and a few eager stars shining from above it.

It was only half past eight in the evening and after knowing the residents of the cottage for the past six years, she knew that none of them would be asleep.