Ch. 9

Am I-
Am I posting chapters too fast??
I can't help it okay, Mephiles is my comfort character and I just have to write about him---
DON'T FIGHT ME FOR I AM A SCARED GERBIL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before you knew it, it was your last day at the coffee shop.

You were in the back, taking a break, and you were rather surprised to see a man walk up to you.

Naturally, you were immediately on high alert, but you still waited to see what he wanted.

"Miss L/N, is that correct?" He asked, to which you nodded, eyeing him suspiciously.

"My name's Micah. Micah Smith. I'm a private investigator." Huh?

You were still very much on high alert, but you were clearly listening.

"The man you're with. Michael. He's dangerous. You ought to stay away from him." Right.

Of course.
Sure.

"Why?" You asked, crossing your arms.

"Like I said, he's dangerous. There are many deaths attributed to him." Hah... you'd seen it with your own eyes.

You already knew.

"Right... listen, my break's almost over, I better go back in-" With a firmer tone, the man spoke again.

"I don't think you're understanding-" Irritated, you interrupted him right back.

"No, I understand fully. I'm aware of what he's capable of. I just... don't care. He took me out of a life of never-ending hard work that led to nothing. He... saved me." You trailed off, feeling your heart pound just thinking about him.

"So if that'll be all..." You suddenly found your wrist tightly grabbed, and now your heart was pounding for a whole nother reason.

"I don't think you understand what he is." Glaring, you tried to wrest yourself from his hold, but to no avail.

"What, the guy who saved me? The guy who showed me life can actually be enjoyable and not something that just needs to be done?" You snapped, though still couldn't get your wrist free.

"He's a demon." Huh?

You stopped for a moment, looking at the man as if he was crazy, though as you glanced down, you noticed a cross around his neck, hanging from a silver chain.

"You believe in that sort of stuff, huh?" You replied, trying to pretend you didn't believe him.

But it was to no avail.

"... You know." He said, his grip on you loosening enough for you to take your wrist back.

"Yeah. And he's done nothing but good for me. I don't care what he is. He's saved me countless times, and for that, I'm grateful. Eternally so." Micah seemed to look at you with... pity in his eyes.

You hated it.

You didn't need his pity.

"And what has he asked for in return?" He asked, crossing his arms.

"None of your business." You snapped back bitterly, rubbing your wrist.

"It is very much my business. Beings like him are my sworn enemy." What?

You looked at Micah, wondering what exactly he could be talking about.

"It seems you don't fully understand." He said, closing his eyes for a brief moment.