Chapter 14

I was studying in my room when the phone rang. I answered it without looking at the caller ID.

"Yobuseyo, Hyejin speaking," I said.

"Hyejin ah..." The voice on the line said. I dropped my pen. This voice is familiar.

"Who is this?" I said.

"Why have you forgotten me you little rascal?" She continued talking on the line, in her satoori accent. (Satoori is Korean's dialect)

I finally knew who was it.

"Halmeoni! (Grandmother!)" I exclaimed. I was so excited to hear her voice again. She chuckled over the line.

"Why have you not called me for so long? I tried calling but you never answered. I was worried you know," I said and talked cutely.

"Stop with your aegyo, when are you and your parents coming to visit me?" She asked.

"I don't know. I really want to come to Busan and visit you. I really miss you," I said. She giggled, but afterwards she started coughing repeatedly and it sounded serious.

"Halmeoni, are you sick?" I asked.
"Just a normal cough, it will go away. I have to go feed my cat alright. Hope to see you soon," She said.

I sighed. Tears filled to the brim of my eyes. "Halmeoni... s-saranghaeyo," I said as I tried to hold my tears.

"Orhh... Nado saranghae (I love you too). Work hard, be a good girl okay. Annyeong," she said and we both hung up.

I smiled but tears were falling. I was happy to hear her voice again. I really wanted to see her. I wished my parents would bring me to see her again. It's been 9 months since we visited her. Since I'm still young, I didn't really know how to travel far away to Busan. I missed her, so so much.

*
My parents came home and we ate dinner together. The dining table was quiet. The whole house was quiet, only the television was heard.

"Eomma... appa..." I called and my parents looked at me.

"Halmeoni called me today. She asked when are we going to visit her," I said.

My mom raised her eyebrow, "So?"

"So... When can we visit her?" I asked.

My mom sighed and continued eating. "You know I'm busy right?"

"But you just have to take only a day off to see her. Plus, she's sick now. Please Eomma? Appa? Either of you can send me there. You may leave to work while I stay with halmeoni," I said and looked at them.

"Sweetie, I'm busy okay. I'll send you there next time," My mom said, crushing down my hopes.

"Just send our Hyejin there. She's your mom anyways, let her see your daughter," My dad spoke.

My mom glared at him. "If you think it's easy, then you go and send Hyejin by yourself!"

Here we go again.

"I'm busy too aren't I? Why should I visit my mother-in-law when her own daughter doesn't come along?" My dad fought back.

They started bickering, again.

Tired, I slammed my hands on the table as I stood up. "WILL YOU TWO STOP FIGHTING?!"

They both stared at me.

"Lee Hyejin don't be rude!" My mom chided me.

"I HATE YOU BOTH!" I yelled and stomped off.

"Where are you going?" My dad stood up from his chair and followed me.

I quickly ran out of the house and he was not able to catch up with me. I ran far away, going through the alley and into the streets.

I walked by the streets and tears fell without me noticing. It was cold, and I was barefooted. I felt lost. I didn't know where to go, but I for sure did not want to go home yet. I needed some time alone.

The streets were busy with people buying food and stuffs. Some were on their way home, probably to the embrace of their loved ones after a long, tiring day at work.

Why can't my family be loving like others'? I sighed, still crying. I was heading nowhere when suddenly someone tapped on my shoulder.

"Hyejin? What are you doing here alone?" Taehyung asked.

I snapped out of my chain of thoughts and wiped my tears. "Oh, hey," I said.

"Yah... why are you crying," He asked.

"Nothing, it's just too cold," I said.

"Why did you come out of the house looking like a beggar, not wearing a jacket or at least shoes," he asked, looking at my toes.

I kept quiet, and was trying my very best not to cry but I couldn't.

"It's so frustrating," I muttered under my breath and looked down.

"Ay... pabo Hyejinnie what's wrong with you?" He asked and I stayed silent.

He sighed and then turned around, his back facing me.

"Get on, I'll piggyback you," He said.
"I-I don't wanna get home," I replied.
"Just get on I won't send you home, pabo," he said and bent down a little for me to reach his shoulder.

*
I continued crying while he slowly walked whilst carrying me on his back.

We reached his place and he keyed the numbers on the biometrics machine. The gate opened and we went in.

He made me sit on the couch.

"Yah! Look at my shoulder. It's all wet because of your tears," He whined.

"S-sorry," I sobbed.

He sat beside me. "So, you wanna tell me what happened?"

And so I did. I somehow trusted him and told him everything about my parents bickering at home everyday and how much I miss my grandmother. I felt better after letting it all out.

He slowly patted my back to cool me down.

"I just want to feel loved. I just want to see halmeoni because she's the only one who genuinely loves me," I said, letting out my sorrows.

I wiped my tears away and sighed.

"Well, um, you can talk to me?" He said. I awkwardly looked at him.

"But you're so mean to me and you're just-"

I was cut off when he pulled me in for a hug.

"Shush up, you need a break, pabo," he said. Again, I started crying.

He pulled away. "Yaahh, you really look ugly when you cry. Can you stop?"

I slightly chuckled and stopped crying, but my eyes were red and puffy. He gave me some snacks to munch on while we talked.

"How am I supposed to get home now?" I asked.
"You can stay over for abit, then I'll send you home."

***

It was 9 at night and I was sent home by Taehyung.

"Thanks Taehyung. You're pretty nice huh," I said and he giggled.

"See you tomorrow in school, pabo Hyejinnie," he said and left.

I turned to my door and knocked. The door opened.

"Hyejin ah!" My mom hugged me, "I'm sorry okay."

I sighed, giving her a faint smile.