Chapter 40: The Beast in Disguise

I broke my promise to Amaury. Even though I swore to him that I wouldn't go alone, I ended up going alone anyway. But in my defense, I did seek Vincent's help. Vincent, however, was nowhere to be found. I realized that when I woke in his bed without him lying next to me. When I questioned Lady Teresa about his whereabouts, she'd told me he left this morning. The one time I needed his assistance and he was leading the troops himself.

Now was a bad time to remember Vincent and I had never exchanged phone numbers. Honestly not the most ideal circumstance. I'd grown so used to being at his side that the thought never crossed my mind. And now, there was no turning back.

"So, you blatantly disregarded my warning. . ." Amaury's patronizing voice was the bane of my existence. I walked the long, vacant road back to Havford, my eyes glued to the gravel. It'd have been a lot easier if I could have taken a car.

"It's not like that," I mumbled.

"My goodness, I cannot believe you, Genesis. How long have you been walking? Did you walk the entire way back down the mountain to your little town?" I was scared of what he might think if I said yes. I'd been too afraid to walk the tunnel route alone so I didn't bother shifting. My only regret was walking in the cold. Damn, my fingers and toes were going to be frostbitten.

Lady Teresa at least knew I was gone though. So, it wasn't like I left without telling anyone. Plus, she'd agreed to let Vincent know I stepped out when he returned.

"Your mom knows I left."

Amaury muttered something incoherent under his breath that I ignored.

"Does she know where you went?"

"Not exactly. . ."

"Well, you're a long way from Calamitous now." He sighed.

"It's not that long," I stressed. "I can always run back, can't I? I have a spare cloak packed in my bag just in case!" More incoherent muttering.

"Well, you're already here. So, you might as well finish what you started." He couldn't have been any more displeased. I'd never heard Amaury worry about me to such an extent. Something told me there was a reason for his worry. Something that didn't only have to do with me. And if my gut was right, then I'd bet it had a lot to do with Vincent and his reaction.

"It's weird being back here a third time. . ." I came to a stop when I noticed the quiet road inching into familiar territory; where there were no street lights, and the sidewalk was thinning in my direction, but thickening in the other.

It had been so long since I ventured back into Havford by myself. I remembered walking these streets back home. It was routine. After all, this was my go-to route from the cafe. Had it not been for that night, I'd probably have still been walking this path. It was strange seeing as I no longer viewed Calamitous in the way I had when I lived in this town.

"Taking a trip down memory lane?" Amaury's voice was soft. Sympathetic.

"Just a little bit." I smiled.

"Do you ever miss it?"

I shrugged. "Sometimes."

Amaury hummed in content.

"I used to think your town was weird, you know?"

"Don't tell me you caved into the rumors?" Amaury chuckled.

"What can I say?" I snorted. "You guys were known as the creepy little secluded town far up in the mountains. No one ever interacted with you guys. Until now."

"Until now," Amaury repeated, amused. As much as I enjoyed our small banter, reality sunk back in when I looked at the trees. Amaury, feeling the shift, asked, "Okay, I must ask. What else do we know about these shadows?"