Chapter 85-Keefe

The next part of the plan was not going to be enjoyable, Keefe thought.

And he was right.

Immediately after they'd left Alina/Kenric's old tower, they'd split up. Keefe had abandoned all attempts at staying hidden, since there was no point anymore. When he got captured, he got captured. Meanwhile, Sophie followed him, staying carefully hidden the whole time. The only reasons Keefe knew she was closely following him were that he could feel her emotions and he trusted her enough to know she would follow the plan.

So, he was expecting to be captured.

He just wasn't expecting to get clubbed over the head in doing so.

***

"Wake him up," someone said sharply.

A rough cloth was covering his head, making his breath come back at him and hit him in the face. It smelled really bad, but Keefe could've sworn he'd brushed his teeth before they left.

As someone nudged him hard, he felt the fog in his mind clear just a little. He still didn't move, and he figured it was because he'd been unconscious for so long that his limbs had become slightly, temporarily, paralyzed.

Or maybe he was in shock, he thought randomly.

Yeah.

That might've been why he wasn't panicking.

"Did you kill him?!"

Two voice muttered, no, ma'am, we just hit him over the head. Gave him a bit of a knock. He pictured Ro's voice saying, "And now you know why Sandor was so against this plan."

"Shut up, Ro," he muttered, slurring.

The voices went silent. Abruptly, the rough sack was ripped off his head, and Keefe got a nice, bright check back to reality.

The bright light made his head pound a lot more, but he suddenly remembered why he was here, and his head cleared a whole lot quicker.

Alina glared at him. "If it isn't the stupid Sencen boy again."

"If it isn't Lady Plastic Surgery," Keefe intonated. "How many elixirs did it take to fix the haircut?"

"Why are you here?"

"Maybe I came for a little stroll." Keefe's head lolled to the side. "Is that illegal?"

"Well—" one of the ogres started.

"Yes, I know it's illegal," Keefe said, rolling his eyes. "I'm being facetious."

"I don't have time for this." Alina grabbed a hold of the ropes tying him to his very uncomfortable chair and yanked his head back. "Where is the Moonlark?"

Keefe stared at her. Let his lips quirk a bit at the corners of his mouth. "I don't know."

She slapped him.

Hard.

Keefe winced, closing his eyes and wrinkling his nose at the stinging. That would leave a mark for sure.

"I'll ask you this again, Sencen. Where is your little girlfriend?"

Keefe just grinned at her.

Alina released him, swearing violently.

Keefe watched her pace back and forth, and said mildly, "That's quite a vocabulary you got there."

Alina turned back to him, murder in her eyes. "Petunia," she hissed. "Give our guest a sock."