A Little Introduction

[Season 1]

Vampires. Since the beginning of time, they'd remained hidden while being hunted and persecuted. People feared their supernatural abilities such as running fast, unnatural strength, and never appearing to age.

Most of the rumors about vampires were false. Garlic and holy water couldn't hurt them; the former was made up by authors, and the latter gave humans a false sense of hope. They could walk during the daytime, but the chances of being killed by human mobs were more likely. Thus, they hunted at night, bringing forth the belief that vampires perished under the sun. Silver, fire, and a stab to their hearts were their weaknesses.

Eventually, as civilization became more modern, their existence was lost into myths.

Then, the prophesied apocalypse began. Most vampires, the ones who couldn't secretly transition into human society, took that opportunity to kill all they wanted. Militaries failed. Governments fell. The humans' demise was set in stone when, rather than fighting together as a species, each nation fought alone to protect their imaginary country borders. It was so trivial to the surviving people, those who lived like wild animals in nature and city ruins. How stupid of their ancestors.

It had now been 150 years since they rose and conquered. After the downfall of the humans, it became their turn to hide and tremble in the dark, hoping they weren't next to be captured. Becoming a blood slave would be their fate, otherwise.

Vampires weren't sparkly or merciful beings. They were all sadistic and selfish. If someone were caught, they weren't seen again. In fact, you should assume they were as good as dead unless you were an alpha or at least a nice-looking beta. If an unfortunate human was a plain ol' beta, they were sold like livestock to the slaughterhouse. They became blood slaves to lower-class vampires. Most would rather die than accept that destiny.

Human alphas and omegas were already rare long before the war. Betas, the normal ones who couldn't detect pheromones, made up 80 percent of the population, while 15 percent were alphas, the preferred gender above the others. Can you guess the remaining 5 percent? Omegas weren't considered to be the apple of a parent's eye. Even more, only 1 percent of omegas were male. Supposedly, they were the bottom of the barrel at the time.

If an alpha and an omega had the genes, they could transition into a werewolf, but that ability had been bred out decades before the war. No one had use for humans who could change into a wolf during that time. How ironic, because a wolf with big teeth probably would've been a useful defense against the bloodsuckers.

Things had changed. When the human population declined every year from mass cullings, so did the number of alphas and omegas. They became a rare treasure highly sought out by vampiric high society. The rumors say, since vampires can't have children with humans, they had a breeding program for the two genders to produce pups in captivity.

And the omega became the crème de la crème. Their rarity got to the point where owning one of these endangered genders was reserved for royalty. Vampires became desperate for an omega. Abaddon hated to admit it, but the program technically failed since an omega was never produced—just alphas and betas.

It was common knowledge that an omega hadn't been born in years. According to the few humans who had escaped from the vampire's clutches, the last omega had been born forty-three years ago.

Just the thought that there could be an omega out there was a hunting game for those bloodsuckers. Rounding them up was easy to do since many humans had lost their will to fight.

Well, their searches weren't entirely pointless.

There was an omega out there hiding within the cold, wet caves of what used to be Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky.

The last omega.

Illustration by Hodge